Is 7kg Lens + Amira Too Heavy for Hand Held

Jingtian Wang

I have a upcoming shoot where there's some budget to splurge, and I was able to fit a amira and cooke 20-100 t3.1 in the budget. I will be shooting handheld about 60% of the time. The lens is about 7kg (14.6ib) heavy, and the rental house is asking me whether I really want to shoot handheld with this combo. Could anyone who shot with lenses in this weight range tell me if it's hard to do so? ALso, would a 15mm lens support work for this system? They are insisting on a 19mm system, but I want to shoot with the WPA-1.

Thanks in advance

J

• Premium Member

The configuration is not ideal for using it in hand-held mode, not because of the weight (although it is a very heavy configuration) but because of the length of the kit and how unstable and front heavy it will be.

Take a look at a photo of the same lens on an Alexa Plus (which is kind of the same width and  length than an Amira) 

f11269ccd6d9240f0f23583f6551c915.jpg

Now, if you still want to shoot hand-held with this go to the rental house and find a good position for the camera to rest on the shoulder, and ask for a minimonitor as the viewfinder ? AND an easyrig. 

Have a good day.

• Premium Member

I think it's a terrible idea. Doable? Sure, I've humped heavier combos before. But as Miguel points out, it's a really unruly sized combo. Get some primes, or at least smaller zooms, for times you need it on the shoulder.

The Canon 17-120mm, Fuji 20-120, and Zeiss 21-100mm are all much more handheld-friendly options in the same range. Albeit with more modern looks to them.

If you're going to go hand he;d with this, that balance point for your shoulder will be ahead of the camera, so you'll need the 19mm rods with a shoulder pad, so that you can balance the rig. 15mm rods would be too flimsy, since they're designed for lighter lenses, not a heavy zoom lens, plus the camera. The mini monitor would be mounted on the front of the lens, not the camera. 

If you get a good balance, you won't do your back in and can work for longer periods..

Edited by Brian Drysdale

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Jingtian Wang said:

Would a EVF extension work for this? Since my rental house includes this in the package.

No, forget about it, the EVF extension is useless under my point of view. 
You're much better off with a mini monitor like the Tv Logic.

Have a good day.

Well, just don't do it.  The lens is too big for comfortable hand holding, with the weight too far forward.

Your arms will hate you.  And maybe even your back will hate you.

And most of all, the image will probably be very shaky as you will fatigue very quickly.

Even using a prime lens, you will tire quicker than you think.

Just say no ?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, Jingtian Wang said:

My other option would to get the Angenieux ez1, which is much lighter and would probably run fine on a 15mm system with only the mattebox supporting it. Would would this make the handheld thing easier?

That would make your life (and your hand-held operating skills) easier, it is a setup that I've used multiple times. 
You will still need a support for the zoom but it can be a 15mm support and you can use a clip-on mattebox. 

Have a lovely day. 

Edited by Miguel Angel

23 minutes ago, Miguel Angel said:

but it can be a 15mm support and you can use a clip-on mattebox

I was thinking about using a rod mounted mattebox and no lens support, since my rental house for some reason only carry 19mm lens support. This avoids me from adding a bp8 to the system. Would that work?

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Jingtian Wang said:

I was thinking about using a rod mounted mattebox and no lens support, since my rental house for some reason only carry 19mm lens support. This avoids me from adding a bp8 to the system. Would that work?

You can use a clip-on mattebox and you can use the 19mm lens support with a 15mm reduction ring in the 15mm bars. 
The camera rental house should have those, or your assistant camera people. 

Have a good day.

Oddly enough, I have done that exact setup you are asking about, handheld, by myself with no AC. This was five years ago, and I was not that smart, but I pulled it off. Notice how the WPA-1 and top handle are all the way forward and I am decently comfortable. Also notice how there are NO accessories on the camera. No MB, FF, Wireless, etc. So yes technically you CAN do it but it's up to you whether or not you SHOULD do it!

IMG_1311.thumb.jpg.2dc1c93492d9e76ac6c9b68564e55b81.jpg

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Chris Stiles said:

Oddly enough, I have done that exact setup you are asking about

Good to know I'm not the only person thinking this way... :), I had the exact same idea. Though I have to put on a matte box  and monitors since ....clients.