Chest pouch vs Belt Pouch

Robin Kim

Hello. I was just wondering the arguments between using a chest pouch vs a belt pouch. I understand that it's a preferential thing where whatever helps you get the job done is the right answer, but I was wondering if there were any arguments as to why one may prefer a chest pouch vs a belt pouch. Thank you for your time!

I personally find a chest rig more comfortable in general as it spreads the weight and lets me attach a radio quite securely.

My rig is one made by arri rental with magnet closing so that also helps when putting something away just after action is called (no loud velcro rip). It doesn't hold as much as most hip pouches so it's less heavy to start with.

But these days, I have a belt with just my Hilti and Fatmax. It's nice to have everything on hand at a moments notice as a trainee and as a loader but when focus pulling I really tire of carrying all that and a hand unit around all day. When needed I still will wear a chest rig.

• 1 month later...

I started with a belt pouch, then in the last year switched to a chest pouch.

I found that when I had a 2nd AC, lots of the stuff I had in the belt, (tape, soft tape, marks) the 2nd would have with them.  I also found that it was getting heavier with more gear, and then I had to tighten the belt which would start to hurt my hips.

The chest pouch got me down to the essentials.  I currently have the basic Setwear one, I want to swap to the Conterra one when this one dies.   But I have got in it; a sharpie, dry erase marker, black and white china pencils, pen, flashlight, multitool, and my Leica rangefinder.   Much more comfortable to have than in the belt pouch.