Tenet

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Manu Delpech said:

Saw the prologue in laser IMAX, looked good but underwhelming. The trailer is much much better. There's nothing like 65mm 15 perf truly. 

I agree, the original teaser thing didn't raise an ear, this one you can clearly see the beautiful large format shallow depth of field look. I really like 15 perf. I just hope he finally uses it for some dialog scenes. 

Why shoot it on 15 perf 65mm if it's to be shown with laser IMAX? Isn't that a lot of extra expense to go to if it's not going to be shown on a film projector? I'm not criticising, I'm trying to figure out why Nolan would shoot with such an expensive process. I suppose the answer is that he likes doing it that way and the movie will easily make huge profit so cost of film is no object really.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Jon O'Brien said:

Why shoot it on 15 perf 65mm if it's to be shown with laser IMAX? Isn't that a lot of extra expense to go to if it's not going to be shown on a film projector? I'm not criticising, I'm trying to figure out why Nolan would shoot with such an expensive process. I suppose the answer is that he likes doing it that way and the movie will easily make huge profit so cost of film is no object really.

Ohh it's going to be shown on film. 15 perf IMAX, 5 perf and 35mm. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2019 at 2:19 PM, Tyler Purcell said:

Ohh it's going to be shown on film. 15 perf IMAX, 5 perf and 35mm. 

Ah, I see. You are fortunate then.

You must understand, I come from the land down under .... where real movie film and film projectors are long forgotten. It's all digital as far as the eye can see. In fact if you raise the topic in conversation with pros here you tend to get a blank stare back at you. Like what you just said doesn't register. The cursor of their mind blinks in silent anticipation, as it were, while they await your next input to the conversation with something that connects with their personal experience. Film? No response. Brain cells not engaged.

But a loyal few remain ....

• Like 1

• Premium Member
54 minutes ago, Jon O'Brien said:

Ah, I see. You are fortunate then.

You must understand, I come from the land down under .... where real movie film and film projectors are long forgotten. It's all digital as far as the eye can see.

In Sydney the Ritz and Orpheum still show 70mm projections, in Melbourne we have the Sun and the ever reliable Astor. Sometimes the Melbourne IMAX shows 15/70mm prints, though I’m not sure if they still have their projector,  the last 70mm print I saw there was Dunkirk. We also have Melbourne’s Cinematheque which regularly screens 35mm prints of world movies.

If you’re a film buff you need to move to Melbourne!

1 hour ago, Dom Jaeger said:

I don't rule it out. I lived there for years as a kid and it's a lovely place to visit - I especially enjoy the inner city of course, where there's so much to see and do. And down the coast near Brighton. Brisbane has a growing film presence, so the interest must be there. It just needs to be sustained and keep growing.

Edited by Jon O'Brien

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 1/5/2020 at 2:46 PM, Dom Jaeger said:

In Sydney the Ritz and Orpheum still show 70mm projections, in Melbourne we have the Sun and the ever reliable Astor. Sometimes the Melbourne IMAX shows 15/70mm prints, though I’m not sure if they still have their projector,  the last 70mm print I saw there was Dunkirk. We also have Melbourne’s Cinematheque which regularly screens 35mm prints of world movies.

Being an IMAX buff, sadly the Melbourne IMAX has removed their 15/70 projector. They've taken up the entire booth with digital laser projection. It's a travesty as that was the last truly great theater in the world. I think IMAX is taking back projectors that were on lease with them. The only 70mm theaters left either OWN the projectors OR someone has bought them, like Warner brothers did for Christopher Nolan and they put the projector at the AMC Citywalk theater here in Studio City CA. That IS the last 15/70 theater in CA, now that San Jose moved to digital last year. 

• 4 months later...
On 1/5/2020 at 10:46 PM, Dom Jaeger said:

It's a shame they closed the IMAX in Sydney. I saw a couple of films there, back in the day...the 35 metre wide screen was crazy big even by IMAX standards. I also saw Bladerunner at the State theatre, which is almost the opposite experience opulent 2000 seat auditorium...teeny tiny screen 

Fortunately, London still has two 15/70 cinemas (BFI and Science Museum), I'm hoping they don't try and push to open Tenet too early, I'm not going to risk the trip into town until the covid juice is more under control and the UK is still (a lot) of a mess. 

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, Tyler Purcell said:

New Trailer looks great! 

I'll say this much, it ain't coming out anytime soon sadly. 

Fotokem is shut down and they aren't re-opening, even for Nolan. So it'll be a long time until it's released. I bet the photochemical process along will take a month alone. 

Bummer... Over here, the movie theaters will open again soon (with a max 30 people limitation per screening). But I would’ve been able to see it...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks like Tenet is finally coming out. I found out that there will be a early screening on 70mm near me, then will eventually be released to the public on Sept 3rd. I would really like to see this on the big screen, but with the pandemic still going on, I'm not to sure. Chicago has been doing alright from maintaining the spread of the virus, but lately cases has been going up. The theater that's screening it is allowing only 50 people in out of a theater that seats 700 people and with mask mandatory. 

Is anyone planning to see this on the big screens? I have yet to see any info about IMAX 15/70 release prints. Would anybody happen to know about this?