Tenet

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, Michael P Honold said:

Is anyone planning to see this on the big screens? I have yet to see any info about IMAX 15/70 release prints. Would anybody happen to know about this? 

Yes there are going to be 15 perf IMAX screenings, but seeing as theaters aren't open nation wide yet, I think it will be a bit before they announce those locations and dates. September 1st is when theaters are suppose to open, but I don't think very many IMAX theaters will. 

It was a huge mistake to try and force this release now, California and New York (the two biggest markets) are completely shut down still. 

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Willem Jansen said:

I’m going to see a 70mm screening next Saturday in Amsterdam. Really looking forward to it, I love 70mm screenings!

It's very exciting for the EU to get UNUSED 70mm prints before the US. You guys are so lucky and I hope you enjoy it! 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Yes there are going to be 15 perf IMAX screenings, but seeing as theaters aren't open nation wide yet, I think it will be a bit before they announce those locations and dates. September 1st is when theaters are suppose to open, but I don't think very many IMAX theaters will. 

It was a huge mistake to try and force this release now, California and New York (the two biggest markets) are completely shut down still. 

Thanks for the info Tyler! Hopefully IMAX announces their release dates soon. It a shame that two IMAX theaters near me, both equipped with 15/70 projectors, don't project film anymore. I now have to travel to Indiana to see any IMAX 15/70 films

25 minutes ago, Willem Jansen said:

I’m going to see a 70mm screening next Saturday in Amsterdam. Really looking forward to it, I love 70mm screenings!

Have fun Willem! 70mm screenings are the best, wished more films were released on film  

• Upvote 1

My IMAX theater here that still has its 15/70 projector (unless they removed it recently), isn't showing it on film this time around. They have the movie listed for release on the 27th here in Canada, and the IMAX is only showing it on digital. Shame because I was really hoping they'd use that projector again.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Ravi Kiran said:

Does anyone know how up-to-date this list of worldwide 70mm and IMAX screenings is?

https://www.in70mm.com/news/2020/tenet/index.htm

There is no way to tell what's happening. The list is pretty accurate to screenings that have been signed up for, but since they're a week away, nobody is actually sure what's going to happen in the US. I've been asking my projectionist friends and they're completely in the dark here state side. Meanwhile, EU and Canada are slated to be running the film starting next week, I've been talking to projectionists who have the film prints already on the platters ready to roll! Very exciting times for them. 

Here in California, we're at least a month away from cinema's opening. I have a feeling the prints sent to the EU will find their way back to the US after their run, be cleaned and be run here. Which will be sad because we're so use to seeing fresh/new prints, but oh well. 

I don't know if it's worth driving to Arizona to see it. 

• 2 weeks later...

The film is fascinating in several ways. It definitely requires multiple viewings. I watched it projected digital. I will see it in 70mm when the prints are available.

Van Hoytema stays out there on the edge of exposure on night scenes. I was reminded of the underexposed scenes from INTERSTELLAR. Now, I see them as flavoring in a visual feast of photographical feats. The scenes filmed in 15/70 have a "bigness" to them that I quite enjoy. Overall, the negative exposure appeared tighter and more even in relation to his previous work. 

Christopher Nolan is peerless in combining large scale, large format with complex esoteric ideas. The cinemas are the best place to experience such art.

Edited by James Compton
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I really enjoyed it. I too had to see it digitally as there are no theaters officially open near me. 

It was great to see Hoyte shoot a more "normal" movie. It looks like a bond film in 2.40:1 aspect ratio digital presentation, then the 1.44:1 native aspect ratio. I'm frustrated there are NO real IMAX theaters open anywhere in a 700 mile radius of my house in Los Angeles! The moment we get one that opens, I will re-watch, but I really liked the scope version. Unlike Interstellar and Dunkirk, which were both speciality films, one taking place mostly in a confined space and other mostly exterior, Tenet has a wide gamut of locations, day/night, int, ext. It's all over the place and it's just very cool to see a more normal movie shot by them. It for sure shows how much talent Hoyte has, as everything looks so damn good. 

In terms of the movie itself, I'm not offended by the lack of character development or detailed explanation of what was happening. Honestly, you kinda figure it out as you go along and they fill in details here and there to help, which is all ya really need. The twist at the end opens a pandoras box of possibilities and it will make everyone want to re-watch it. In typical Nolan style, he just drives the plot forward relentlessly until the very end, which will drive some people crazy, but the ride was most excellent and like Dunkirk, I believe that was his motivation. 

Over-all, I really enjoyed the film and it's going to be great to compare the digital version to the film version once it's released on film here in California, hopefully in the next few months. 

That really is shocking that there isn't a decent IMAX venue open or a 70mm print screening within 700 miles of Los Angeles. I have tickets for the 70mm show in Atlanta and I'm excited. The projectionist is the same guy that operated the 70mm platter for THE HATEFUL EIGHT. He's also a skilled telecine operator/colorist and 35mm print collector, so the 70mm print is in good hands.

• Premium Member
On 9/1/2020 at 3:54 PM, James Compton said:

That really is shocking that there isn't a decent IMAX venue open or a 70mm print screening within 700 miles of Los Angeles. I have tickets for the 70mm show in Atlanta and I'm excited. The projectionist is the same guy that operated the 70mm platter for THE HATEFUL EIGHT. He's also a skilled telecine operator/colorist and 35mm print collector, so the 70mm print is in good hands.

Everything is closed still! ?

• Premium Member

Ah a theater popped up! It's down in San Diego. Reading Grossmont, they are the San Diego 70mm theater I guess. Since San Diego is open, I guess they're starting the screenings Thursday! We'll be headed down Saturday afternoon and watch it on film. 

Sadly, I was told today, the prints were all done digitally. ?

I saw it on Monday in digital. Noticed that it was shown at 2.20:1 letterboxed within 1.85:1. Apparently the regular digital release of Dunkirk (which I had only seen in IMAX Laser) was shown this way as well.

This movie is nuts. And beautiful. So many intense and wonderfully staged sequences, running forwards and backwards at the same time, that must have been such a bitch to shoot. One thing that stuck out near the end is a very clever shot of a collapsed (miniature) building rising from its bottom half in reverse, followed by the top half being blown up in regular time.

• Premium Member

Saw it Friday in a cinema in spain projected digitally and I was disappointed at the fact I felt it was too dim....back in the day I remember we could communicate with the projectionist.......besides that I will enjoy watching it another 4 times before I make sense of it Haha great to be back in the cinema....

Edited by Stephen Perera

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, Stephen Perera said:

Saw it Friday in a cinema in spain projected digitally and I was disappointed at the fact I felt it was too dim....back in the day I remember we could communicate with the projectionist.......besides that I will enjoy watching it another 4 times before I make sense of it Haha great to be back in the cinema....

The one we saw was plenty bright enough; so much that large areas of white could make the shutter flicker visible. 2.2:1, could have had the fuzzy bottom edge cropped off just a little more but otherwise absolutely rock solid projection. Picturehouse Central in Piccadilly, London, screen one.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Stuart Brereton said:

Saw it yesterday, digitally projected. Looked very nice. Unfortunately, the film itself is virtually incomprehensible, and no amount of pretty pictures can change that.

I thought it might be comprehensible if you could hear the dialogue, but I'm not sure.

• Like 1

This film is taking a bit of a pounding .. maybe any publicity is good ,or not ? .. maybe there was more than one reason for the delayed release ..  so it seems you do actually have to hear what the actors are saying , unless you are Brando and haven't learnt the lines ..

6 hours ago, Phil Rhodes said:

I thought it might be comprehensible if you could hear the dialogue, but I'm not sure.

The dialogue mix wasn’t terrible, although there were definitely moments when it couldn’t be heard, and it could generally have been higher in the mix. The main problem for me was that the central idea of the movie is either nonsense, or so poorly explained that it might as well be nonsense.

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, Manu Delpech said:

Seeing quite a few people appreciating this way more on a second viewing. Seems like the first one could be overwhelming. 

I don't think it's overwhelming. That suggests a degree of sophistication and complexity I don't think it actually has. It's just inaudible.

Time travel storylines are not new.