Rumble Fish 1983 by Coppola

• Premium Member

This is in my all time top films I have ever seen.....I wanted to bring it to the attention of younger members or anyone who has not seen this.....the cinematography is outstanding and it's always there in the back of my mind. Perhaps influenced by the great work of Gabriel Figueroa on films such as THE FUGITIVE 1947 in the great understanding of the world seen in BW.

Here is the Wikipedia on it.....

Rumble Fish is a 1983 American drama film directed by Francis Ford Coppola. It is based on the novel Rumble Fish by S. E. Hinton, who also co-wrote the screenplay.

The film centers on the relationship between a character called the Motorcycle Boy (Mickey Rourke), a revered former gang leader wishing to live a more peaceful life, and his younger brother, Rusty James (Matt Dillon), a teenaged hoodlum who aspires to become as feared as the Motorcycle Boy.

Coppola wrote the screenplay for the film with Hinton on his days off from shooting The Outsiders. He made the films back to back, retaining much of the same cast and crew, particularly Matt Dillon and Diane Lane.[2] Rumble Fish is dedicated to Coppola's brother August, and was the film debut for his nephew, Nicolas Cage (Smokey).[3]

The film is notable for its avant-garde style with a film noir feel, shot on stark high-contrast black-and-white film, using the spherical cinematographic process with allusions to French New Wave cinema and German Expressionism. Rumble Fish features an experimental score by Stewart Copeland, drummer of the musical group the Police, who used a Musync, a new device at the time.[4]