Non-standard daylight spools from FOMA BOHEMIA, beware!

Simon Wyss

• Premium Member

Have just seen a photo of a black plastic microfilm spool 16mm Fomapan R was supplied on. The person had a camera jam due to the spool seizing. Those microfilm spools are too wide around the centre. I can only dissuade from putting such a load in your camera, it should be sent back with the notice that the spool is not conform to ISO 1019. Bad development of things, I must say. https://www.filmvorfuehrer.de/topic/30933-achtung-fomapan-tageslichtspule/?tab=comments#comment-325148

Edited by Simon Wyss

• 2 weeks later...

He's right, those spools are poor.  I would send a note back of course...but I have just reloaded the film onto KODAK 16mm Daylight Spools which was easier and allowed me to just go ahead and use the film.  Ideally, do this well before you plan to shoot the film so it's ready for you.   To maintain edge numbering in correct sequence, transfer film onto a 100ft Metal Daylight Spool and then back again to another one, all in the dark of course. FOMAPAN is nice film, but the spools it comes on are cheap.  Also, I have noticed that there is a very slight perforation error noticeable if you put a couple feet of Fomapan next to some Kodak type film and critically examine the perforation pitch, which is a tiny bit longer on the FOMAPAN R-100 film stock.  I have mentioned this to FOMA, since it's especially noticable on the Double 8mm films but was told it's to expensive for them to retool the equipment.  The variation is slight and in actual practice shouldn't affect anything, but it is there, and in contact printing I have noticed an issue with it.