End to End Prores Workflow

jorden mosley

As a long time GH4 user, I’ll be looking to upgrade eventually to the BMPCC 4K. In post production, I’ve always loved working with Prores for both editing and exporting . Since the BMPCC 4K can acquire all forms of Prores internally, it seems to be an ideal choice for having a End to End Prores workflow (acquire>edit>finish in the same format). Outside of increased file size, are there any downsides of this approach that I should be aware about?  

Extra info: I primarily edit in both FCPX and Premiere on my MacBook Pro.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Nothing wrong with the workflow, but everything depends on your final requirements. If you have specific delivery requirements you adjust based on that, but especially when the camera originates in ProRes, you should be fine transcoding to whatever you need from ProRes. I would suggest working in the higher quality ProRes codecs however instead of the 422.

Your workflow will change with every production so it's fine to get something that works for you but just be prepared to adjust for each gig. 

The only time it's potentially an issue is 4K is demanding and may lag on a complex edit.

In those situations it's probably better to make smaller proxies for the edit and conform later.

I'm doing that on my current 4K production so I can edit on my small laptop and fit all the 720p proxy rushes on my internal SSD. I'd need to more powerful machine for an end to end 4K workflow.  My laptop is fine with upto 1080p prores but it's less responsive on 4K projects. I find the time lost due to transcode is made back by a faster edit.