What kind of lens set (and maybe filtration) was used?

For starters, it most definitely looks like Alexa just from the dynamic range.

In terms of lenses, its hard to tell. Seems super fast, maybe a 1.4, the bokeh is almost perfectly circular, and the focus is crisp but still has a nice falloff to it. No funky vignettes or artifacts dominant. Looking at the subjects' edges against overexposed backgrounds, you can see some very slight green chromatic aberration. Makes me think of one of the many Zeiss super speeds, but the flaring on the super speeds has a more blue/purple dominant tinge to it, where as I'm seeing a more polychromatic range in the flaring. The colorful yet well resolved flaring reminds me of the Ultra or master primes. Past this it's hard to tell.

Don't see any mention of Panavision on the Vimeo description. I feel like most DPs like to credit them.

• Upvote 1

?Thanks for the answer Jacob Mitchell. I use the zeiss super speeds mk1 a lot myself but don't have the same feel as the lenses that were used in this videoclip. 

I was thinking more in the direction of old cooke lenses, with maybe glimmerglass diffusion filter in front.

Anyone recognize the flares at 01:16?

??

looks pretty much like Sony venice open Gate with Canon K35 glass?

Just my guess… not sure but got pretty similar results recently with these combination.

Can be Alexa LF/miniLF as well depending on Colorgrading. But Glas looks pretty much like K35 on FullFrame.

Edited by Philip Reinhold
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I shot this on the Sony Venice,  Opengate 6K with Canon K35 Lenses. Primarily the 24 and 50mm focal lengths. Filters were Digicon 1/4 combined with Hollywood Blackmagic 1/2.

Grade didn't deviate too much from my custom 5212style-Tweaked Lut which I use for everything instead of Rec709 or DCI...

colorist Alex Gregory at the Mill.

Jx

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

On 2/19/2020 at 4:19 AM, Joel Honeywell said:

Hi Guys,
Jx

Joel, that's a really  fine piece of work. Isn't she an amazing looking artist. The sensual Afro-French merge/embodiment is really powerful. The form of the language is powerful. The music itself may be a bit over modulated. Are the visual forms also? But I enjoyed it too much. Almost felt some quantum entaglement with the REM video for Loosing My Religeon. So you might see where my thoughts about possible over modulation come from. 

• Upvote 1