Low FPS Effect

Adam Page

Hey there,

Looking at shooting a scene on my Canon 814xls and I want to achieve an effect like the below. 

I know you can achieve similar by slowing down and blending frames.. My question is.. If I shoot 9fps with a shutter angle of 150, will I be able to achieve this naturally. Also i'd probably be getting the film scanned at 24fps. Would I be able to simply slow down or interpret the footage as 9fps to achieve such results?

Many thanks.

Edited by Adam Page

maybe not quite that slow, but something in the ballpark.

You could try testing digitally to see if the look is close. Either by finding a digital camera that can do 9fps or maybe shoot 30fps with a 360 degree shutter and keep one frame in three - that would get you 10 fps with a 120 degree shutter - which is in the ball park and close enough to see if your going to like the effect

Makes sense to have a play with a digital camera before you burn expensive film stock

• Premium Member

If they are simply running your footage at 24 fps and giving you a 24P master, then you would have 1:1 transfer so you'd just need to play the footage at 9 fps to restore to normal speed. However, if you have to make a 24P or 30P master from that, some interpolation might happen to keep the speed normal. If you could shoot a 6 or 8 fps for a 24P master or 10 fps for a 30P master, you'd avoid any possible artifacts.  On the other hand, running the 9 fps footage at 8 fps and then making a 24P master from that might be OK. Or, as you say, running the footage 3X slower which is the same thing.

Technically a film scanner would give you a bunch of files (probably DPX files), one for each frame, as oppose to a telecine transfer to a video codec.

Thanks for the advice! I've done a couple of tests with some 18fps footage I had available. Was able to get a pretty good result slowing this down with a frame blend with premiere pro. Just wondered about the 9fps as I thought it may give that more natural blur (although ultimately for my desired effect I think id' have to slow down and add some blending) + 9fps gives me quite a bit more film time!