Films with the best small-scale Blocking?

Max Field

Just wondering if we could compile a list of suggested views that encapsulate great blocking and framing. Nothing on the scale of Metropolis with large elaborate sets, things that anyone is physically capable of in terms of budget, but need a trained mind to consistently do.

Thanks!

Interesting video! I hadn't seen that one.

Spielberg started out as a teenager at home, making amateur movies on 8mm, and was the energy behind the whole creative process, from script, to model building, to photography, directing, special effects, soundtrack, the works! He really understands how to use the camera to tell an entertaining story that keeps your interest and must have been born with a camera in his hands. He knows how to film a scene brilliantly. Good idea to study his works.

Edited by Jon O'Brien

Keeping it in the low-budget realm; I'm a big fan of Peter Jackson's blocking in action moments from his earlier films - Bad Taste, Dead Alive. Also the Coen Bros in Blood Simple and particularly the hilarious fight scene in "Raising Arizona":

Raising Arizona trailer fight

Here's a great video of Daniel Pearl, ASC talking about shooting Texas Chainsaw Massacre and coming up with the famous super low-angle shot from under the swing:

Daniel Pearl, ASC

4 minutes ago, Phil Connolly said:

Buried (2010) is a good example of being visually inventive for such a tiny location

It was wild how they made one location last an entire feature. I wonder how that film would've done without A-list talent.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Phil Connolly said:

Buried (2010) is a good example of being visually inventive for such a tiny location

Did you know that there is no identical shot in that movie? 
It is something that Rodrigo Cortes and Edu Grau were very adamant about, since they were confined in a really tiny place they wanted to make the most out of it and they decided that they weren't going to repeat any shots. 

4 hours ago, Max Field said:

It was wild how they made one location last an entire feature. I wonder how that film would've done without A-list talent.

Taking into consideration that Rodrigo Cortes is one of the cleverest directors in Spain, there wouldn't have been a movie without an A-list talent because he always had Ryan Reynolds in mind and he wasn't going to have a no as an answer. 

10 hours ago, Miguel Angel said:

Did you know that there is no identical shot in that movie? 
It is something that Rodrigo Cortes and Edu Grau were very adamant about, since they were confined in a really tiny place they wanted to make the most out of it and they decided that they weren't going to repeat any shots. 

I didn't know that, that makes it more impressive. The discipline about not cheating on the light sources was already impressive enough.

I'll have to put it on my rewatch list, I'm starting to develop a low budget single location idea and I'm looking for inspiration in ways to keep it visually interesting. 

"Shallow Grave" is one of my references, contained location, great blocking and superb lighting. Its my favorite Danny Boyle/Brian Tufano collaboration 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Phil Connolly said:

I didn't know that, that makes it more impressive. The discipline about not cheating on the light sources was already impressive enough.

I'll have to put it on my rewatch list, I'm starting to develop a low budget single location idea and I'm looking for inspiration in ways to keep it visually interesting. 

"Shallow Grave" is one of my references, contained location, great blocking and superb lighting. Its my favorite Danny Boyle/Brian Tufano collaboration 

Shallow Grave is amazing! 

If I remember correctly Rodrigo Cortes had 2 or 3 coffins made and they changed them back and forth depending on the shot they were  going to do.
They also shot in 15 days or something like that.. which is quite understandable. 

Autumn Sonata, though anything from Bergman is a masterclass in austere blocking. Theatrical maybe, but undoubtedly effective. 

Also would be remiss not to mention Woody Allen—Husbands and Wives has some of the most intricate yet fluid blocking I've ever seen