Little Women

The Irishman

Marriage Story

Joker

Ford vs. Ferrari

Parasite

JoJo Rabbit

List from:

https://observer.com/2020/01/oscar-nomination-predictions-netflix-1917-ouatih-parasite/

Have not seen them all, but my pick is 1917

No matter how your slice it...Deakins is a wizard. 

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

"Parasite" and "Marriage Story" are the only two I haven't seen - everyone tells me I should see "Parasite".

I liked "Little Women" and "JoJo Rabbit" the most in that list but I liked most of the others almost as much.

Parasite is the best film I've seen in a few years, its great. But not seen enough of the others to judge if its my favorite 

Might have to squeeze a cheeky matinee of 1917 in this week. That Deakins chap looks like he knows what he's doing

Nothing comes close to Irishman. 1917 is too much of a gimmick imo - but the Academy likes that sort of thing, so expect it to take home all the major categories.

• Like 1

1917 is a wonderful achievement but it’s not Best Picture. The Irishman is a much better choice for the overall filmmaking in my opinion.  1917 will probably win though. 

G

Edited by Gregory Irwin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gregory Irwin said:

1917 will probably win though. 

Yep, that's why I wrote it because I don't think anything else is as "OSCAR" worthy. It's not about what's the best film of the year, it's about what the voters think and sadly, many great films were already sidelined by the nomination committee. 

There is a chance they'll give The Irishman something (due to Scorsese's age and all), but seeing as it was snuffed in the golden globes, I have a feeling the Academy will follow suit. 

I have not seen all these films yet, but would give my personal Oscar to Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. The theatre experience was pure magic, so real and touching, almost like time travelling. Wonderful cinematography by Richardson, 35mm  anamorphic widescreen, 16mm film, 8mm film... And what a story. I adore Sharon Tate, and I cried at the end. But it is much more, it's a painful dream of saving the dying Silver Age of cinema.

I'm glad that Parasite won, historic. Still wanted The Irishman to win, but the only other worthy pick was Parasite and Bong imo.