PV and PL Flange distance

Mike Krumlauf

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Mike Krumlauf said:

How hard would it be to change lens mounts on a camera like the genesis from PV to PL?

I believe that is something that should be done at Panavision. 

G

• Premium Member

1070014141_PVandPL.jpg.5435927771e08291a3356a6520787320.jpg

PV mount on left, PL on right.

PV has the flange wings extend like +, PL is like x.

PV uses a locating pin on the lens mount at the bottom, PL has a locating pin on the camera mount at top right.

PV flange depth is 57.15mm and throat diameter is 49.5mm.

PL flange depth is 52.00mm and throat diameter is 54.0mm.

8 hours ago, Andy Jarosz said:

You would likely have a better time switching PL mount lenses to PV

No, it's generally not possible to convert PL lenses to PV as a PL lens will be forming an image over 5mm closer in than the PV flange depth, so you'd need to remove that much material from the back of the lens before fitting a PV mount. Also PL lenses may have a rear protrusion that exceeds the PV throat diameter.

Some PV lenses can be converted to PL but they were never really designed for easy conversion. 

With SP70 mount cameras like the DXL or Panavised Alexa LFs, you can easily adapt down to PL or PV or other mounts with an adapter, as Arri have also found with their LPL mount.

10 hours ago, Mike Krumlauf said:

How hard would it be to change lens mounts on a camera like the genesis from PV to PL?

On Panavision-owned digital cameras like Alexas we have spacers and shim sets to allow for fairly easy mount swaps between PL and PV. In the early days I think the Genesis was PV only, conversion to PL became an option at some point, though I don't recall the process. After a conversion flange depth always needs to be accurately checked with calibrated test lenses and and an oscilloscope. There are PV adapters that can fit on a PL camera with minor alterations, for the occasions when a mostly PL lens package needs the odd PV lens.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Who wants to dredge up an old conversation...

I have a few solutions to the lens problem, I haven't decided which way is best. 

easiest solution just takes $$, this guy said he can make Angenieux 25-250 rehouse with a PV mount and PL mount. Assume Angenieux 25-250 can be found around $2000.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275956566320?hash=item40404b0930:g:XXYAAOSwvv1kkRuF&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwOcKG3M%2BlRdZqUYawIFYNzLnYdNHEVqHo%2FQqNVQH91WuAwIxThBnYvoqS3U5xWJ3lbeLnTDnjsuFzzuTqeGfIb1xFmfc4xy8wsekRSUfdjaNKRc7fELC%2B29sogau9MGsk7vBOVlSLuheH2R61tSprQkfnickRfS%2FQ6vAnyAADp3BiMgt9lxHcpzfQwQiHh2DCUPYxQwVsSL5Gukl2AABveGy%2FDwQJBKLshn9LaUAQIrcLewezRncjanSyPQAqYkuMw%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR6S1w-C8Yg

Going on this idea of finding a lens that works with PV Mount: the big zooms by Cooke (20-100, 25-250) and Angenieux HR 25-250 (Which is a much sharper lens than the ones being rehoused above) all have an intermediate lens mount referred to as Universal Mount. Not plentiful universal to PV mount is out there. So even without getting the specific rehoused 25-250, I could find a more modern Angenieux or Cooke with that universal adapter and this solves the problem. All these zooms are big and heavy also, there is no primes I have seen with this intermediate mount like the long zooms. If you look at more modern lenses, zooms especially, the PL mount is a lot closer to the IRIS ring, PV conversion requires the PL wings to be far away from the back of the lens, see Angenieux above. 

I guess looking at all the advancements in PL mount lenses over the last 10 years it is hard not to think this is the most exciting and interesting route to take. There are a lot of lens options in PL: anamorphic, Fast primes, zooms that would be fun to be able to play with the widest range possible.  

The Panavision Genesis never had PL option, I can be fairly certain of that, the whole design of the Genesis bulbs out in the front so only PV mount would ever fit on their design. What Panavision did was buy a fleet of F35's which are the Arri standard - PL Mount and Baseplates and these were able to swap between PL and PV easily with a small adapter. 

Combining the F35 front plate which is flat and designed to align the CCD with PL mount, and the Genesis front plate, which sticks out further, is what I see as the only option to get PL mount onto the Genesis. The issue with this idea is the PL mount is even more recessed into the camera so this could present issues. 

See attached photo, I am going to sand and repaint before I put it back together is why they are currently empty. 

IMG_5846 (1).jpeg

Edited by Evan Ferrario

• 2 months later...

https://www.ducloslenses.com/collections/mounts/products/multi-mount-flange?variant=363134685

Looks Like Duclos has the part I was referring to.

I found good deal on Angenieux 25-250 HP.

Putting PL Mount on the Genesis basically comes down to putting Sony F35 front plate on the Genesis. The PV Lens mount is built into the Genesis and they are both part of the same. I will say I can't think of a more solid lens connection than the Genesis PV mount.