Noises | Short Film

Cody Wurst

Please excuse my honesty here, some of this may come off as somewhat harsh, but I think there is some good stuff here if you edit the piece down. 

The film is graded well, the mood is very cinematic and there are only a few instances where the shots look over cooked or have too much contrast to fit with the rest of the film. The edit pacing is way too slow, and I feel like a lot of what you are communicating here could be done in a more stylized approach in the middle, smash cutting to the next day. Check out the way they achieved this in the middle of "Edge of Tomorrow" - very similar in terms of a repeating day with small differences, but since you have already established it once through, you can respect the audiences time and keep it short, give them the info they need and then deliver the final scene where the meat and potatoes lie. 

Cinematography is pretty good, you get the feeling of claustrophobia at points and the loneliness is pretty obvious but overall I think it takes too long to get through and it could very well be 5 minutes long and not 13. There are several compositions I feel could have been better and the sizes chosen start to get a bit repetitive. I can understand the idea of repetition to show monotony, but the way the edit stands currently is just too long and drawn out for me to care about the character. There are no scenes where I feel connection to this loner, who I don't understand until the end. I feel like if you cut out the middle, and got to the downward spiral a bit quicker, you would have something powerful to those who have gone through this. 

Another thing is that I think the choices made by the actor are inconsistent. Sometimes, he is so small that it is nuanced and professional, but then at other points you can clearly tell he's trying to act. This has a lot to do with the choice of compositions in several shots where the actor is forced to do something that is un-natural, and since we are close to him, we see the expressions even more exaggerated than they need to be. Try going wider as this will make your character feel small, you can trap them in a box and watch them like a rat. These are the feelings you want to think of when composing with a single actor who needs to carry the film. Don't give them too much responsibility to communicate to the audience with big gestures or laughs, as this adds a lot of the forced nature to it and I'm sure he felt he had to be that way because the camera is trained on his face, so he's having a hard time deciding how to act naturally, whereas the profile shots and off eyeline compositions allow the actor to move freely through the frame instead of feeling like they have a camera trained on them at all points. 

But overall, GREAT JOB, YOU MADE A FREAKING MOVIE AND NOT MANY PEOPLE CAN SAY THEY DID THAT!!!! ?

On 1/20/2020 at 10:18 PM, Alexander H Davis said:

Please excuse my honesty here, some of this may come off as somewhat harsh, but I think there is some good stuff here if you edit the piece down. 

The film is graded well, the mood is very cinematic and there are only a few instances where the shots look over cooked or have too much contrast to fit with the rest of the film. The edit pacing is way too slow, and I feel like a lot of what you are communicating here could be done in a more stylized approach in the middle, smash cutting to the next day. Check out the way they achieved this in the middle of "Edge of Tomorrow" - very similar in terms of a repeating day with small differences, but since you have already established it once through, you can respect the audiences time and keep it short, give them the info they need and then deliver the final scene where the meat and potatoes lie. 

Cinematography is pretty good, you get the feeling of claustrophobia at points and the loneliness is pretty obvious but overall I think it takes too long to get through and it could very well be 5 minutes long and not 13. There are several compositions I feel could have been better and the sizes chosen start to get a bit repetitive. I can understand the idea of repetition to show monotony, but the way the edit stands currently is just too long and drawn out for me to care about the character. There are no scenes where I feel connection to this loner, who I don't understand until the end. I feel like if you cut out the middle, and got to the downward spiral a bit quicker, you would have something powerful to those who have gone through this. 

Another thing is that I think the choices made by the actor are inconsistent. Sometimes, he is so small that it is nuanced and professional, but then at other points you can clearly tell he's trying to act. This has a lot to do with the choice of compositions in several shots where the actor is forced to do something that is un-natural, and since we are close to him, we see the expressions even more exaggerated than they need to be. Try going wider as this will make your character feel small, you can trap them in a box and watch them like a rat. These are the feelings you want to think of when composing with a single actor who needs to carry the film. Don't give them too much responsibility to communicate to the audience with big gestures or laughs, as this adds a lot of the forced nature to it and I'm sure he felt he had to be that way because the camera is trained on his face, so he's having a hard time deciding how to act naturally, whereas the profile shots and off eyeline compositions allow the actor to move freely through the frame instead of feeling like they have a camera trained on them at all points. 

But overall, GREAT JOB, YOU MADE A FREAKING MOVIE AND NOT MANY PEOPLE CAN SAY THEY DID THAT!!!! ?

Thank you for your honesty we appreciate everyone’s feedback I always dislike showing friends and family because I feel they never give their real opinions so we appreciate your honest review.thanks -Cody