Framing for 2:1 aspect ratio on FS7

Maddie Henri

Hi All,

I'm currently working on a new TV show, filming on FS7 and the exec would like to programme to air in 2:1 aspect ratio. She's said that this can be done in post by letterboxing so long as we are shooting 2k RAW so the image can be cropped. Is this correct? 

This means that my framing will be off and I can't seem to find any marker settings for 2:1 on the user settings. She's suggested taping the monitor screen so that the framing will be more on point? I don't see how this can work can anyone help? 

Thanks.

• Premium Member

you need to set custom frame lines from the menus. I don't remember where it was there (always used a rental fs7) . A framing chart will help to verify that the custom lines are definitely 2:1 .

when taping on monitor you would benefit from the framing chart as well. if the monitor has custom frameline option you can just setup them from the menus just like with the camera itself.

You will crop vertically when wanting 2:1 ratio whether shooting 2k/4k or hd/uhd so you will only need to know how much the image will be cropped vertically so that your vertical framings are not too tight.

If you don't have any kind of framing guide available then it makes sense to shoot dci2k or dci4k because the native aspect ratio, about 1.89:1, will be close to the 2:1 ratio and you know you'll be OK if you leave just a tiny bit of headroom to the shots.

• Premium Member

personally I use custom frame lines in almost every project. that is because I shoot 2:1 pretty often and also shoot regularly with lenses which don't cover the whole sensor so horizontal cropping is also needed (for example some of the Lomo oct18 lenses on Nikon Z6 10-bit which means about 30mm horizontal sensor width but the lenses cover about 24mm horizontally. and switching to DX mode would mean too much cropping and lower image quality by my tests when comparing to cropped FX image)

Thanks for this. I don't think the FS7 has the 2:1 settings in its 'aspect select' settings. only the following:

4:3 / 1.66:1 /
1.85:1 / 2.35:1 / 2.4:1

What would be the best way to manually mark the frame lines on to the monitor if it cannot be set on the camera viewfinder? I'm a little reluctant to do this anyway just in case measurements etc can be done wrong. 

Would the image not be cropped horizontally across the top and the bottom and then enlarge the remaining image (originally shot in 16:9 aspect ratio)? This is what the channel have told us will happen. Meaning that you would have to be careful of top and bottom framing leaving extra room? 

Also what is dci2K? I'm a self shooter not a cam op/DOP so I don't have the most extensive knowledge. Thanks for all your help with my questions ?

Sorry when I say 'monitor' in the second chunk of text I mean the viewfinder- *What would be the best way to manually mark the frame lines on the camera viewfinder/monitor (FS7 only has a digital monitor and not a built in viewfinder) if it cannot be set up to appear on the viewfinder through the camera settings*

I believe the "User Box" setting should allow a 2:1 frameline - but don't have the FS7 to hand to test. 

Or if you shoot DCI 4K, its native aspect ratio is 1.89:1 which as Aapo states is pretty close and you could get away with a minor crop off the bottom of the frame. You could get away by eyeballing. I've shot on 16:9 manytimes for 2.35:1 delivery and been able to arrive at acceptable framing by guessing. The difference between 1.9:1 and 2:1 is going to be very minor and if you crop from the bottom rather then top and bottom your not going to mess up your headroom. 

Or  just use masking tape on the  top and bottom of the viewfinder screen, to make a 2:1 framing reference.. easy peasy,  Cut it neatly enough and you can still probably use the loupe. 

You should get a bit of paper and draw a 2:1 rectangle on it. Point the camera at the rectangle till the left and right edges just touch you edge of frame. The top and bottom lines of your rectangle are now the bit you want to mask off. So with masking tape cover the top and bottom of the screen using the lines of your reference rectangle as reference.

Record a bit of the rectangle chart  so you can use it in post to line up your 2:1 letter box.

A lot of field monitors have built in 2:1 framelines or custom framelines. Or you can do the masking tape approach the same way by filming your homemade chart for reference.