project a shadow?

A woman sees the shadow of her deceased cat on the wall as the cat (unseen 'cause it's deceased) walks across the floor.  I'm looking at ways of doing this and none actually working for me.  If I could somehow project the shadow on the wall, I would do this in 16mm.  As it is, I may have to resort to digital & green screen.  I'm working with a couple of cats and lights just off the floor and getting some shots that come close enough to use but this is digital.  I'd be burning a lot of 16mm film with this process and my budget would be shot.  Any thoughts?  thanks, tom

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, tom lombard said:

A woman sees the shadow of her deceased cat on the wall as the cat (unseen 'cause it's deceased) walks across the floor.  I'm looking at ways of doing this and none actually working for me.  If I could somehow project the shadow on the wall, I would do this in 16mm.  As it is, I may have to resort to digital & green screen.  I'm working with a couple of cats and lights just off the floor and getting some shots that come close enough to use but this is digital.  I'd be burning a lot of 16mm film with this process and my budget would be shot.  Any thoughts?  thanks, tom

Well, I'd try and do it for real and hope you don't burn a lot of film -- maybe bring multiple cats? Otherwise I agree with Phil.

If you can build a partial set, perhaps create a wall out of diffusion material and project the real cat's shadow from behind the wall to give yourself some room, plus that way the cat can be closer to the wall for a sharper shadow. You'd have to deal with the bottom edge of the wall though somehow, can you live with a shadow of the bottom wooden strip holding down the material.

I would have to see the storyboard, but it may be possible to film it,  with the cat walking by, and do a split screen, replacing the cat part of the frame with an empty floor.

Something like how they did that type of effect of shadows of the farm workers in the film Vampyr.

• 1 month later...