Varipole safety precautions?

Max Field

I bought 2 of the Impact Varipoles for a shoot, wedging them between a standard 8 foot drywall ceiling and a thin piece of wood over a carpeted floor.

Before I begin hanging a speedrail between them, what tests should I do to make sure these won't slip out from the ceiling? I really do not want a lawsuit on my hands.

Thanks for any tips!

Additional info: Setting these up has been a 1-man job so far. I'm able to get them nearly level but not perfect. How essential is it to get it right on the nose? Also when I put in the lock to do the final extension to wedge into the ceiling, is there such a thing as over extending them into the ceiling? Or the tighter the better?

The Varipole should be located to push against the structure supporting the drywall ceiling. If that is hard to find or too light weight, then a board at 90deg to the ceiling structure will help, crossing between two structural elements.

Can you feel the structure supporting the drywall? Bump it gently with the base of your fist and you will feel and hear it.

• 5 weeks later...