Canon 514-xls in PERFECT aesthical condition, but no power being delivered

Jared Hall

I recently cooped up a 514-XLS that is literally in such a condition that you could tell me it was made yesterday and I would believe you (if it weren’t 2020). There is absolutely no corrosion in the battery slot, it’s all still super shiny and looks like it should all work. Unfortunately, there is seemingly no power being delivered to the camera whatsoever when the batteries are in. No sounds, coming from the camera or anything. Any ideas on possible fixes? I’m wondering if it’s just the handle contacts that have gone bad

Sadly, a common issue on this camera (and some others with folding handles) is that a short develops in the wiring from the folding.  Try using an external power supply to the camera via the external power port.  If no response, then the short is also shorting out this avenue to supply power to the camera.  If the external power supply runs the camera, then you could use it this way.  Otherwise, repair involves the removal the other folding handle and tracing where the short is.  On some models, I have seen the handle begin to overheat due to the short directly shorting the batteries themselves!  The folding handle design on Super 8mm cameras, while novel and helpful for tripod lower center of gravity filming, also has the potential to have the power supply short out.  I have seen this on quite a few Super 8mm cameras.  As for repair, if you are adept at using fine tools and doing this type of work, you might want to try it, or you could just sell off the camera for parts/repair as is, without making it worse.

10 minutes ago, Martin Baumgarten said:

Sadly, a common issue on this camera (and some others with folding handles) is that a short develops in the wiring from the folding.  Try using an external power supply to the camera via the external power port.  If no response, then the short is also shorting out this avenue to supply power to the camera.  If the external power supply runs the camera, then you could use it this way.  Otherwise, repair involves the removal the other folding handle and tracing where the short is.  On some models, I have seen the handle begin to overheat due to the short directly shorting the batteries themselves!  The folding handle design on Super 8mm cameras, while novel and helpful for tripod lower center of gravity filming, also has the potential to have the power supply short out.  I have seen this on quite a few Super 8mm cameras.  As for repair, if you are adept at using fine tools and doing this type of work, you might want to try it, or you could just sell off the camera for parts/repair as is, without making it worse.

Thank you again for a great response, I will be trying out the external power option within the next few days. So just external source to where the handle would contact the prong that’s rooted to the actual camera then? Thanks again.

The power port for external power supply is on the right side of the CANON 514XLS near the lens.  It's a 9 volt supply port, same as the normal batteries. CANON made an external supply pack for extended and/or cold weather filming (could be kept under a jacket for warmth), as did many other manufacturers.  You should be able to test this with a transformer power supply as well to see if the camera functions at all.  Just make sure the polarity is correct, via engraved diagram by port. Note:  transformer power supply usually doesn't have the amperage of a battery pack, despite the voltage being the same.  However, it should be enough to check to see if the camera is working, just not enough amperage to run film.  If camera comes alive, you'll know it's the handle power supply that is defective, and can run the camera using an external battery pack.  Good luck, hope it works for you.