Night Shoot in a pine forest

ramesh

Hai

I am gonna shoot a action sequence ( climax) at a pine forest in the night. I am planning to use a Par 12kw or 18kw on a rostrum for the back light and 10 lumapanels tied between the pine trees in equal distance, so that an big area gets a soft top light. If i dont get the budget for the lumapanels, i am planning to use bulbs in a chinese lantern. what worries me is that the  bulbs shouldnt cause any fire due to heat. any suggestions to improvise.

thanks

1.jpg

• Premium Member

I'd be worried that rigging things from the trees would create a rather patchy light, but if you're careful it might be fine. It depends how much area you're looking to cover; an 18K will create a rather bright backlight which might take a large number of panels or china balls to balance. What camera system are you using? Do you have a preferred shooting stop or sensitivity level?

Nice location, though!

P

15 hours ago, Phil Rhodes said:

I'd be worried that rigging things from the trees would create a rather patchy light, but if you're careful it might be fine. It depends how much area you're looking to cover; an 18K will create a rather bright backlight which might take a large number of panels or china balls to balance. What camera system are you using? Do you have a preferred shooting stop or sensitivity level?

Nice location, though!

P

I am gonna use arri alexa xt with 800 iso with shooting stop at 2.8 and 4 or 4. I a m gonna diffuse the backlight through a opal frost or a 216 filter

9 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

I think daylight LEDs for paper lanterns should be fine in terms of heat if you hang them properly. But obviously keep an eye on them and have fire fighting equipment on hand, which you should anyway.

i am just wondering whether the daylight led would be as illuminating as lumapanels, although fixing the daylight led is not as hard as fixing the lumapanels

• Premium Member

Lumapanels would definitely be brighter.  Depends on if the soft top light will be underexposed compared to the hard HMI light, sort of an ambient fill rather than a key.  Also depends on what ISO you will be shooting at and how many paper lanterns you are going to use, how far up they are, and what wattage the LED bulb would be, etc.  But Lumapanels are brighter by far.  Can you do a mix of both?

1 hour ago, David Mullen ASC said:

Lumapanels would definitely be brighter.  Depends on if the soft top light will be underexposed compared to the hard HMI light, sort of an ambient fill rather than a key.  Also depends on what ISO you will be shooting at and how many paper lanterns you are going to use, how far up they are, and what wattage the LED bulb would be, etc.  But Lumapanels are brighter by far.  Can you do a mix of both?

I am.gonna be shooting at 800 iso. It will be either lumapanel or led lights. If it's gonna be led lights, it would be around 400 led bulbs in a lantern. It won't be a match to luna panel, but I think it should do justice to the ambient fill

Been using chinese lanterns for years without incident. As long as the bulbs are hanging in the middle of the lantern or you use one of the fixed bulb harps like lantern lock or other manufacturer you will be fine. A fixed harp will be better out side in the wind.