Strange noise from the magnetic drive on Aaton XTR

Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

.....so I'm set to start rolling on my new project and I'm testing the camera with battery without the magazine to inspect the pull down claw is looking good etc etc and the camera is rolling well but when tilted sideways there's a strange like grinding sound coming off the magnetic drive that connects to the magnets on the magazine.....if you know what I mean.....is this something I need to send out to fix?

Edited by Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

hi stephen

i tried to replicate what you described on my XTR prod, and yes, without a mag installed, when tilted to the side, the disk with the magnets shifts outwards (towards the throat or the mag), Because there's no mag present it can shift more and starts to rub against the sidewall of the disk cutout. With the mag installed, the magnetic drive is silent.

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, David Sekanina said:

hi stephen

i tried to replicate what you described on my XTR prod, and yes, without a mag installed, when tilted to the side, the disk with the magnets shifts outwards (towards the throat or the mag), Because there's no mag present it can shift more and starts to rub against the sidewall of the disk cutout. With the mag installed, the magnetic drive is silent.

Very kind of you to test this out for me......there is indeed rubbing so basically Im being paranoid? Shoot without fear? Is it bad to run the camera without a mag attached,.....I kind of like it as a guilty pleasure just to hear that beautiful whirr and see the shutter spin haha. can someone explain the internal mechanism in that part? I've seen the blow up chart and see there's a sprocket in there with teeth so I assume it's way more robust that a tilt affecting it no?

Edited by Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

if you tilt the camera to the other side without a mag, the rubbing should stop. and with the mag installed it should not rub tilted either way, or held upside down.

running the camera at low fps without a mag for brief moments is no problem, but not at high fps - i think the XTR even refuses to run without a mag installed at 75fps, in order to protect the pulldown claw.

Edited by David Sekanina

• Premium Member

Thanks David.....I was running the camera for a long while though without the mag listening out for the noise....... I'm sure I haven't damaged anything no?.......anyway....proof will come tomorrow when I start shooting with the mag on......

• Premium Member

hey David I unloaded a mag Id just put film in to check and the camera seems to run fine.....can hear the normal whirr and can hear the mechanism in the aforementioned area a bit.....I assume this will not affect the filming in terms of 'dragging' the film through at 25fps......paranoia hahah

• Premium Member

the noise comes and goes whilst rolling Ive found.....Im wondering.....whats the part in there that makes the noise? must be related to the gear with the sprockets...part 01 150 25 and how it interacts wit parts next in line 

aaton_mag_magnet.jpg

Edited by Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

the helical gear 01 150 25 which connects with the helical gear coming up at an angle in the lower left, is virtually noiseless at these speeds.

It's the magnet ring 01 150 15 that can move left and right when no mag is attached and therefore move too much to the right and rub against the side wall.

why it does make a noise when the mag IS attached is curious. I'd get the camera CLAd.