Kino Flo Heavy Magenta Tint

While looking back at still grabs of today's shoot. I found shots to have a heavy magenta tint. This is very obvious in the first shot, and more subtle in the second. The shot is lit by a 1x2 kino and a 2x2 kino, both with k55 bulbs. I rented the light from a reputable rental house and the chances of anything being a knock off is very low; the fixtures and bulbs seemed fairly new to me but I can't tell for sure.

The camera is white balanced correctly and rooms lights are turned off. The camera I used is a Panasonic Hcx 1000e. 

One potential cause might be my laptop screen as the shots seemed normal ona small HD 502 (I was told it is new, no idea whether calibrated), but it can also be the other way around. And I also wasn't most focused on the colors during this shots

Any inputs is appreciated.

J

p.s faces were blurred for obvious reason.

11 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

Was this the regular T12 Kino bulbs or the smaller bulbs like in a Diva?

These were 242-k55 tubes.So the 2 pin version, unless I remember wrong, these were the original kinos tubes.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Jingtian Wang

This is what I thought, and why this surprised me so much. 

I later realised it might be caused by bad black balance. So I re-balanced that took this shot. But same thing. This seems to only appear on the daylight bulbs and the tungsten seems fine to me. 

Magennta.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Kino Flo lights have a tendency to go magenta when old or dimmed down. If you used two instruments it’s possible that you white balanced to your key and the backlight went way pink, most likely because you dimmed it significantly but perhaps because the tube is just old. If your subject isn’t particularly pink but the background is then I would assume this is the case.

Even through the distortion it looks to me like the subject may be balanced correctly. Is this possible?

Edited by Stef Allan

On 2/12/2020 at 12:14 AM, Stef Allan said:

Kino Flo lights have a tendency to go magenta when old or dimmed down.

That shouldn't be the cause as dimming wasn't even a option on the units I had (2x2 and 2x1 with separated ballast)

On 2/12/2020 at 12:14 AM, Stef Allan said:

but perhaps because the tube is just old

This sounds like the most plausible. The tubes had 2015 on there as their manufacture date. Not sure if this is considered old for Kino tubes?

• Premium Member

There's one minor point that may not apply, but is worth mentioning in this context for future reference.

Some kino-flo ballasts offer switches selecting between two- or four-foot tubes. Sometimes this is used (abused) to provide a degree of brightness control, to reduce output on the common four foot tubes. This will cause a minus green error just as with conventional dimming.

P

10 minutes ago, Phil Rhodes said:

Some kino-flo ballasts offer switches selecting between two- or four-foot tubes. Sometimes this is used (abused) to provide a degree of brightness control, to reduce output on the common four foot tubes. This will cause a minus green error just as with conventional dimming.

I actually intentionally did this for my most recent shoot. Those Kino ballasts offer so much flexibility for such an old technology.