filmshooting.com super8man super8data

Andries Molenaar

Anybody got a clue about the filmshooting.com forum? Is has been in maintenance for months and months. It is a bit of an archive of pre facebook super-8 discussions. For good and bad. Also the super8man archive is hidden behind this shutdown. What is the trouble with having a sub-directory with static content open? 

The same with this idiot who just abandoned super8data. Not just the domain but the content too. All with these lame made-up excuses. How can $15 for a domain be too much and how difficult was it to just keep the public contributed data on a local disk and have this posted elsewhere?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Andries Molenaar said:

Anybody got a clue about the filmshooting.com forum? Is has been in maintenance for months and months. It is a bit of an archive of pre facebook super-8 discussions. For good and bad. Also the super8man archive is hidden behind this shutdown. What is the trouble with having a sub-directory with static content ope

The same with this idiot who just abandoned super8data. Not just the domain but the content too. All with these lame made-up excuses. How can $15 for a domain be too much and how difficult was it to just keep the public contributed data on a local disk and have this posted elsewhere?

I don't know the situation with these sites, but I would suggest maybe not being so judgmental about it. For one thing - maintaining a web site is much more than paying $15/year for a domain. You also have to pay for web hosting, and you have to keep the site updated, even if it's static and no longer working. And getting that data into a usable form isn't always straightforward. Often sites like this are a labor of love and life gets in the way. 

I speak from experience - In 1996 I started postforum.com, which was one of the biggest forums for mac-based nonlinear edit systems for quite some time. It never made any money but it consumed a lot of my time. Eventually the forums were overrun with spammers and I couldn't keep up. Multiple revisions of the forum software didn't help, and it was ported to three different forum packages over the years (each port took months to pull off because the data was all in different formats). Social media took over and traffic plummeted. In the end, I had to shut the site down, which was tough because there was a ton of information there.

The site had over 25,000 non-spammer users (and in the end almost as many spamer accounts), and about 4000 regulars. there were over 180,000 posts when I finally pulled the plug and made it read-only. That lasted for several years, but then the site began experiencing all kinds of hacks because of security vulnerabilities in the (by then defunct) forum software. Ultimately my web host told me to either fix it or shut it down. Since most of the data on it was way out of data at that point (I mean, who still uses Media 100 QX systems on Mac OS 9?)

Keeping a web site up and running, especially one that's even remotely interactive (even if it's in read-only mode) is a lot of work and still needs to be patched and updated as the underlying OS is updated or security vulnerabilities are discovered, so it's not a simple matter of paying a few bucks a year to leave it visible. Respectfully, I'd say give the site's maintainers a break.

Edited by Perry Paolantonio
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So long as this super-8 site is drawing attention, wanted to throw this out there selfishly. I picked up an Elmo ST 600 D M for a song recently but the seller moved out of the country the day he sent it, and he sent it without a power cord. I have looked around on the net and not found anything about how to get one. His email from after he moved said he tested it and the bulb and everything works, so I'm wondering if there is  a way to use a generic cord -- I can't figure out why he didn't include the cord unless he thought it was unimportant -- he included the original box and packaging and instructions.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated -- I've got a lot of film from the 70s through the early 90s I'd like to transfer, but they've all got bad sprocket moments, so sending them to a transfer place would just result in 'skippy' DVDs, so I will have to ride herd on the transfers.

5 minutes ago, KH Martin said:

ANY help would be greatly appreciated -- I've got a lot of film from the 70s through the early 90s I'd like to transfer, but they've all got bad sprocket moments, so sending them to a transfer place would just result in 'skippy' DVDs, so I will have to ride herd on the transfers.

That depends on the transfer system. Modern sprocketless scanners can often scan damaged film. We do it all the time on our 6.5k ScanStation. 

I just searched for the manual for that machine, and it says it uses an AC power source. So finding a plug shouldn't be too hard. Can you post a photo of the socket on the machine? The manual didn't have an image of it. 

2 hours ago, Perry Paolantonio said:

I don't know

Keeping a web site up and running, especially one that's even remotely interactive (even if it's in read-only mode) is a lot of work and still needs to be patched and updated as the underlying OS is updated or security vulnerabilities are discovered, so it's not a simple matter of paying a few bucks a year to leave it visible. Respectfully, I'd say give the site's maintainers a break.

I am aware how websites work. I have several.

Super-8 is not easily outdated.

Just abandoning the content created by so many users in so many hours is vandalism.  Filmshooting has lots of bogus in its archive but there are also many well discussed useful topics. Curious enough I researched a bit on keeping a copy in PDF or static HTML of the documenting threads but unfortunately it just stopped like that.

Transporting simple html sites like super8man and super8data is not much work and keeping a copy online barely a thing.

We'll see what comes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I have kept Super-8mm.net and Super-8mm.com up and running for the past 15 years. However, I was ambushed one day by the host site who said my sites would only be read only for security purposes even though I had purchased the template from them. So it has stayed as is and the cost is spread out among other domains I have. I don't think I have ever made a penny from the site but I know it has connected the curious to some of the more well known players of the Super-8mm industry.  It's 85 bucks for domain hosting and 12 bucks for the domain per year.