Cannon 814 vs 814 electronic

Sam Petty

So i am in the market for a super 8 camera and have narrowed my search down to the cannon 841 and the newer 841 electronic. but i cant find the main differences between them .can anyone help me distinguish the differences? also if you think there is a better option please let me know.

Well, you actually have FOUR models of the CANON 814:

1.   Canon 814 Auto Zoom:   this is the original model, very well built, lots of metal, but low on features aside from manual and auto exposure, 3 filming speeds [12, 18 & 24fps], manual and power zoom lens F/1.4 with No Macro but 1.2 meters closest range from film plane mark], single frame etc.

2.   Canon 814 Auto Zoom Electronic:   this model which replaced it, is also well built and is the lower specification version of the top end 1014 Auto Zoom Electronic, but with the shorter 8:1 zoom [Macro close filming added to lens at 16.5cm from film plane mark] and lack of lap dissolve feature.  Most other features are the same but some changes, 3 filming speeds [18, 24 & 40fps]  single frame, frame and footage counters, flash sync, variable shutter etc.

3.   Canon 814XL Auto Zoom Electronic:  this version offered the XL 220 degree shutter opening but still basically the same F/1.4 lens with 8:1 zoom [Macro close filming  at 16.5cm from film plane mark]

4.   Canon 814XLS Auto Zoom Electronic [Super 8mm sound camera], which is just as good a silent film camera as it is a sound camera, with same type lens with Macro focusing 16.5cm from film plane mark, different running speeds of 9, 18, 24 & 36fps, single frame,  interval timer with 1, 5, 20 & 60 sec. intervals, flash sync etc.

There are other features, but it would take up more space to list them all and information is on the internet.  Only you can decide which model will fit your needs.  The earlier two models have 150 Degree shutter openings and are heavier with more metal construction.  The first model is built like a tank.  The more complex they get later makes them difficult and costly to get repaired IF you can find a place to repair them.  The only real weakness on the first model is that of the Viewfinder Aperture Display Light Diffuser on the front of the camera coming loose from dried up adhesive and interfering with the moving Needle, and the achilles heal of these cameras, the folding grip which over time causes some cameras to develop a break in the power supply, or worse, a short.  To be fair, this is an issue with all folding handle type Super 8mm cameras, with a few exceptions (those that use a circuit glider strip versus a wiring harness to minimize wire breakage).

• 3 months later...

The flashing light is the film transport indicator.   Some Super 8mm cameras have a mechanical indicator lever, or notch or hole at the side, top, or bottom of the viewfinder, with a moving mask......CANON  uses the light for this purpose.  Some cameras such as the YASHICA LD series use a light to indicate that you're nearing the end of the film cartridge, or that you have reached the end already.  But usually, that's a steady light when the film is over.

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting this thread after some years! Martin, thank you for all this valuable info (both on this thread and the many other threads where your responses have helped me out!) I'm wondering about your comment about the folding grip being the achilles heels of these cameras. You mention that there are exceptions--do any models come to mind?

I'm in the process of purchasing a super 8 camera and all the options I'm looking at (Canon 814 models, 1014 models, and Nizo Pro) all have retractable handles. Do all of these have that power supply problem?

Another question about these handles: on the Canon 814 models, does it operate when the handle is retracted? Same question for the 1014 models.

Finally, I notice that some 814XL models have a handle that retracts backwards (toward the viewfinder) while others have one that folds forwards (towards the lens). Do you know why that is or if it makes other differences? Thank you!

The reason is that Canon changed the design and other features between the different cameras with „814“ in the name:
https://global.canon/en/c-museum/camera.html?s=cine&s2=8mmcam

One main difference between the 814XL-S and the other models named 814 is that the 814XL-S could record sound on the magnetic soundtracks (if their still is a company offering pre-striped S8-Films in the larger sound carts). Due to the additional weight caused by the sound recording parts, the need for a better handle is obvious. (Whether the 814XL-S' handle really is better is heavily debated ever since the camera’s release. ?)

BTW: There are many S8 cameras where the batteries are stored inside the body instead of inside the handle. But this didn’t  prevent them from having problems caused by leaking batteries that caused corrosion of nearby cables. Not to mention that is majorly of cameras is 50 years old …

In other words: It’s better to check the individual camera than to condemn whole models/brands.

Edited by Joerg Polzfusz