Some historical background on optical sound

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Glad it was of interest esteemed members!

I am still having a hard time figuring out how they could make 16mm sound projectors for $500 that read optical sound and now you need a $50,000 scanner to read it. 

<><><><>

radio-and-television-news-d-d-teoli-jr-a

Selection for Radio and TV Archive

DDTJRAC

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

I am still having a hard time figuring out how they could make 16mm sound projectors for $500 that read optical sound and now you need a $50,000 scanner to read it.

16mm sound projectors can be had for $50 today. Why scan film?

No, the correct answer is: projectors were made by the tens of thousands.

On 7/21/2022 at 1:38 PM, Simon Wyss said:

16mm sound projectors can be had for $50 today. Why scan film?

No, the correct answer is: projectors were made by the tens of thousands.

Why scan?

Internet does not accept film. I can't share 1 film, but I can share scans.

Plus, many of the films won't be here much longer.

The%203%20Graces%201.03mb%20D.D.%20Teoli

5 hours ago, Mark Dunn said:

Took me a pandemic to find it, and I'd never heard of freesound - this is incredible! I feel a project coming on.

Full marks.

Yes, they got lots of sounds there. Very useful to filmmakers. I tried submitting audio there, but it keeps jamming and could not do it, so I put my audio donations at the I.A.. If you produce audio Mark, donate some to Freesound or the I.A..

Internet Archive Search: foley teoli

Just carry a little USB digital recorder with you everyplace. Lots of field recordings you can do. You are already there, so why not?

I made this a few days ago on a walk at night...

Night Sounds In Forest D. D. Teoli Jr. A. C. : D. D. Teoli Jr. A. C. : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

As far as garlic presses Simon...

Films get constantly destroyed. If I kick off, my film Archive may end up in the nearest dumpster. I work to get the films digitized and shared before they are lost to history Simon. Or not...if you would rather they be destroyed. I read about such people, still photographers, on the large format forum. They wanted their life's work destroyed when they die. As a preservationist and archivist...I don't!

This film was rescued from the trash after a hurricane in Florida. Should I have left it in the dumpster if the only other option was to digitize it? It was a filthy mess.

nsfw

Internet Archive Search: prescription for love teoli

No Simon, I love scanning films and preserving what can be preserved. My only issue is getting them scanned...as in being able to afford it. I produce many tens of thousands of scans a year in my non-film Archive. Scanning should be my middle name Simon.

<><><><>

pd-daniel-d-teoli-jr-mr-co.jpg

Infrared Flash - Candid

Selection from Piercing Darkness by D.D.Teoli Jr.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.