The rare(?) Aaton XTR XC model

Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

Presenting my rare......apparently, and peculiar...certainly....Aaton XTR XC for those that have not been bored by me enough......now I can post images again by becoming a sustaining member here she is....I bought it over the XTR Prod cos it has no electronics...I figured the less there are the longer it will work with no problems. Standard 16mm format.

As a Hasselblad photographer I like composing in this format and its looking like its in fashion......I looked into changing to S16 not knowing any better but decided to stay in standard 16 format. 

Apparently this is the camera one would take to the jungle and such like inhospitable parts of earth etc as back up in case the other ones had problems. The extended viewfinder I have (not in image) was owned by Michael Palin's camera guy and its been to the most extreme places on earth too!

aaton_xtr_xc.jpg

Edited by Stephen Perera
  • Like 5

• 3 years later...
  • Premium Member

I bought this model as it was the most manual.....I don't want a video tap and I don't want any electronics.....I want as much of a purist experience as possible...the most similar to shooting a Hasselblad. I LOVE the standard 16mm format and I'm glad I didn't pursue my initial thoughts of converting to super 16mm. I also don't care about PL mount. I can use Arri-B, Nikon F and M42 lenses on it. One can get carried away with what the 'industry' uses only to forget one is nowhere near the pearly gates of said industry but oceans and continents away haha

In lockdown my batteries died...my fault....but Tyler Purcell has rescued it with an 'adapter' (for want of a better word but as such one that belittles the importance of it!) for modern batteries!

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Stephen, Great looking camera. I also own an XC.  When I purchased it in 1999 I was told that it was an LTR body with the XTR Bi-phase motor and magnetic drive and minus all the XTR electronics. Mine is also field switchable between S16 and R16mm. I recently had an HD video tap and a PL mount installed at Visual Products(getting it back next week.) I personally am of the same purist mindset as you when it comes to video-tap, but also wanted to make the camera as desirable as possible to young directors and DP's who need the security of a monitored image. 

The DP I purchased the camera from had created a Videotap that butted against the eyepiece and held in place with a creative jig that held to the eyepiece. It was a great rig for steadicam and jib work. Until I decided to upgrade to internal tap I was planning on swapping the old sony CCD NTSC camera to an HD lipstick for better monitor compatibility. I still have the old video tap if you are interested in the design. Would be willing to sell it or share its design so you could 3d print something similar. I also have 2 Arri B to Aaton mount adapters I no longer need. One quick release and one not quick-release. Will share photos and Tap grabs when the camera returns next week.

Happy Filming

Raoul Germain

www.raoulgermain.com

20230811_11514.jpg

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 8/11/2023 at 8:59 PM, Raoul Germain said:

Stephen, Great looking camera. I also own an XC.  When I purchased it in 1999 I was told that it was an LTR body with the XTR Bi-phase motor and magnetic drive and minus all the XTR electronics. Mine is also field switchable between S16 and R16mm. I recently had an HD video tap and a PL mount installed at Visual Products(getting it back next week.) I personally am of the same purist mindset as you when it comes to video-tap, but also wanted to make the camera as desirable as possible to young directors and DP's who need the security of a monitored image. 

The DP I purchased the camera from had created a Videotap that butted against the eyepiece and held in place with a creative jig that held to the eyepiece. It was a great rig for steadicam and jib work. Until I decided to upgrade to internal tap I was planning on swapping the old sony CCD NTSC camera to an HD lipstick for better monitor compatibility. I still have the old video tap if you are interested in the design. Would be willing to sell it or share its design so you could 3d print something similar. I also have 2 Arri B to Aaton mount adapters I no longer need. One quick release and one not quick-release. Will share photos and Tap grabs when the camera returns next week.

Happy Filming

Raoul Germain

www.raoulgermain.com

20230811_11514.jpg

Hi Raoul
Thanks for your great post!

Videotap - I am sure Tyler would be interested as he's doing 3D printing parts for Aaton really successfully.....he created a battery mount for me - my old original batteries died during lockdown and now I can use modern V mount battery thanks to what he created - and I bought one of the 'perfect loop' attachments that also works great.

Edited by Stephen Perera

How is this camera different from the LTR-X? I have an S16 LTR-X with the magnetic motor but the XC seems to have a newer body and better eyepiece? 

Is it possible to adapt V Mount (or in my case gold mount) batteries to the LTR-X?

Did anyone hunt down that guy who made a Contax to Aaton mount adapter successfully? Would be cool to get Contax primes to complement the MK1 super speed set (which tops out at 25mm, unlike the Mk2 and could benefit from a 35mm and 50mm f1.4)?

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Hello Joel... 

I am not familiar with the LTR-X. What is your fastest FPS? Perhaps this is an LTR motor with the magnetic drive? My camera has the XTR motor good for 54 FPS. The body is LTR with no LCD. In the end, every Aaton before the Prod seems to be a custom camera.

You should be able to adapt a v-mount battery to your camera. The question is the voltage range of your motor and control board.  Li-Ion batteries can be in the 16v range fresh off the charger. You want to be in the 14v world. I read on another message that the internal power regulator can over heat when shedding excess voltage. The older Nicad's were 14.4 volts and dropped fairly quickly. These new li-ions hold all day with the minimal amp pull of an Aaton motor. 

On 2/4/2020 at 12:01 PM, Stephen Perera said:

Presenting my rare......apparently, and peculiar...certainly....Aaton XTR XC for those that have not been bored by me enough......now I can post images again by becoming a sustaining member here she is....I bought it over the XTR Prod cos it has no electronics...I figured the less there are the longer it will work with no problems. Standard 16mm format.

As a Hasselblad photographer I like composing in this format and its looking like its in fashion......I looked into changing to S16 not knowing any better but decided to stay in standard 16 format. 

Apparently this is the camera one would take to the jungle and such like inhospitable parts of earth etc as back up in case the other ones had problems. The extended viewfinder I have (not in image) was owned by Michael Palin's camera guy and its been to the most extreme places on earth too!

aaton_xtr_xc.jpg

what mount is it?

• Premium Member

yes...  I have a set of S16 Zeiss primes with native B-mounts. I have two Arri-B>Aaton adapters. One has a slide for quick change, and the other is held to lens with screws. both are very solid and backspacing for me has never been an issue with these mount adapters. As far as other lenses, I do not have experience with adapting to Aaton. I recently swapped over to PL mount and now have those B-speeds mounted to PL adapters. I am happy to part with theses if anyone is in the market. 

20231016_073725.jpg