Jump to content
Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

What modern day B&W films have impressed you for quality?

Recommended Posts


20 hours ago, charles pappas said:

I get the joke about the man who wasn't there, but nashville went over my head

Sorry brain fart - meant "Nebraska", it seems I confuse my american states that begin with "N" 

Both great films

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Phil Connolly said:

Sorry brain fart - meant "Nebraska", it seems I confuse my american states that begin with "N" 

Both great films

 

I see, however, I would not include "The Man Who Wasn't There" as it was originated on color negative and printed on b & w.

I'll throw in one simply because it was anamorphic: "Suture".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, charles pappas said:

I see, however, I would not include "The Man Who Wasn't There" as it was originated on color negative and printed on b & w.

I'll throw in one simply because it was anamorphic: "Suture".

 

 I think it counts - same with black and white movies shot on RGB Bayer sensors and desaturated.. Like Roma, Nebraska

Surely the interesting thing is how the end result looks and the creative use of the B & W colour pallet, rather then the specific tools used to get there.  

I would agree the black and white "editions" of colour movies like Fury Road and Parasite - perhaps shouldn't be considered "black and white" movies. But Deakins workflow was about improving the on screen image quality in a time when the choice of black and white stocks was very limited. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wild card entry: "Bait" (2019) - not technically "good" due to the hand processing, but some very striking and beautiful images 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phil Connolly said:

 I think it counts - same with black and white movies shot on RGB Bayer sensors and desaturated.. Like Roma, Nebraska

Surely the interesting thing is how the end result looks and the creative use of the B & W colour pallet, rather then the specific tools used to get there.  

I would agree the black and white "editions" of colour movies like Fury Road and Parasite - perhaps shouldn't be considered "black and white" movies. But Deakins workflow was about improving the on screen image quality in a time when the choice of black and white stocks was very limited. 

 

Sure, count digital BW like was mentioned...if it impressed you. We are just throwing out film options to study.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ida, Gueros, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, Embrace of the Serpent, The White Ribbon, The Turin Horse.

Loved 'Bait' too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe Lukasz Zal has done an amazing job with his two films Ida(2013) and Cold War(2018). Composition and lighting both look very promising , with a unique style of keeping “larger head room”. 
Had he been discussed in this forum before?pardon me as I am very new.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2020 at 9:31 PM, Saikat Chattopadhyay said:

I believe Lukasz Zal has done an amazing job with his two films Ida(2013) and Cold War(2018). Composition and lighting both look very promising , with a unique style of keeping “larger head room”. 
Had he been discussed in this forum before?pardon me as I am very new.

I love them too.
Great story and visuals.

Some screens:

"Ida" (2013)

1808340412_Ida1rsz.jpg.e41d37f5c1ecb29ac1d9ef3c4727cf37.jpg
 

IDA_IMG_8630-500x375.jpg.3b98e18c635873d90ee622956717d253.jpg

1321522364_Ida-2rsz70.jpg.ed9c206c5fca62b848799121ff62c2b4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS



    Rig Wheels Passport



    Wooden Camera



    Abel Cine



    G-Force Grips



    Gamma Ray Digital Inc



    Serious Gear



    Broadcast Solutions Inc



    The Original Slider



    Just Cinema Gear



    Tai Audio



    Paralinx LLC



    Ritter Battery



    CineLab



    Glidecam



    New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment



    Visual Products



    Metropolis Post



    FJS International


    Cinematography Books and Gear
×
×
  • Create New...