What modern day B&W films have impressed you for quality?

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

59 minutes ago, Phil Connolly said:

Sorry brain fart - meant "Nebraska", it seems I confuse my american states that begin with "N" 

Both great films

I see, however, I would not include "The Man Who Wasn't There" as it was originated on color negative and printed on b & w.

I'll throw in one simply because it was anamorphic: "Suture".

2 hours ago, charles pappas said:

I see, however, I would not include "The Man Who Wasn't There" as it was originated on color negative and printed on b & w.

I'll throw in one simply because it was anamorphic: "Suture".

I think it counts - same with black and white movies shot on RGB Bayer sensors and desaturated.. Like Roma, Nebraska

Surely the interesting thing is how the end result looks and the creative use of the B & W colour pallet, rather then the specific tools used to get there.  

I would agree the black and white "editions" of colour movies like Fury Road and Parasite - perhaps shouldn't be considered "black and white" movies. But Deakins workflow was about improving the on screen image quality in a time when the choice of black and white stocks was very limited. 

1 hour ago, Phil Connolly said:

I think it counts - same with black and white movies shot on RGB Bayer sensors and desaturated.. Like Roma, Nebraska

Surely the interesting thing is how the end result looks and the creative use of the B & W colour pallet, rather then the specific tools used to get there.  

I would agree the black and white "editions" of colour movies like Fury Road and Parasite - perhaps shouldn't be considered "black and white" movies. But Deakins workflow was about improving the on screen image quality in a time when the choice of black and white stocks was very limited. 

Sure, count digital BW like was mentioned...if it impressed you. We are just throwing out film options to study.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe Lukasz Zal has done an amazing job with his two films Ida(2013) and Cold War(2018). Composition and lighting both look very promising , with a unique style of keeping “larger head room”. 
Had he been discussed in this forum before?pardon me as I am very new.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 9:31 PM, Saikat Chattopadhyay said:

I believe Lukasz Zal has done an amazing job with his two films Ida(2013) and Cold War(2018). Composition and lighting both look very promising , with a unique style of keeping “larger head room”. 
Had he been discussed in this forum before?pardon me as I am very new.

I love them too.
Great story and visuals.

Some screens:

"Ida" (2013)

1808340412_Ida1rsz.jpg.e41d37f5c1ecb29ac1d9ef3c4727cf37.jpg

IDA_IMG_8630-500x375.jpg.3b98e18c635873d90ee622956717d253.jpg

1321522364_Ida-2rsz70.jpg.ed9c206c5fca62b848799121ff62c2b4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...