ARRI SR3 HD Video Assist Options (AZ Spectrum or Visual Products)

Moritz Moessinger

Hey,

I own an ARRI SR3 Advanced for quite some time now and always wanted to upgrade the ARRI IVS Video Tap to a state-of-the-art HD Video Tap in order to achieve a better image as well as lose any analog-digital converter.

The most important aspects for me are of course the high res digital image, the sensitivity to low light (the IVS always started to fall apart quite quickly) as well as the flicker reduction of course.

After doing some research I found the AZ Spectrum Version 2 camera as well as the camera by Visual Products the two most referred to options to attach to the C-Mount Optics I luckily got as well.

Does anyone here know any notable differences between the two systems?

The price difference is quite notable (AZ Spectrum roughly 2500$ and Visual Products around 1700$).

AZ Spectrum also offers the conversion of the ARRI IVS to HD-SDI but after talking to them, they told me that the conversion isn't 100% flicker free on 24fps.

I would love to hear your thoughts!

I dont think either are 100% flicker free, IIRC they both run at 25fps. The footage I've seen off the AZ one is effectively flicker free, it just dims a little in cycles.

The listed VP tap requires the non-IVS video arm top, though my understanding is they are working on full replacement for the IVS.  

Thanks for your response. As far as I understand the description on the AZ page, they recommend the non IVS option as well, since it is supposed to be flicker free in comparison to the IVS conversion. Luckily, I own the non IVS top and are not sure if the VP has any disadvantage compared to the more expensive AZ camera.

• 1 year later...

Hello, 

I'm reviving this topic to ask if anyone has any additional information or experience at this point. I am now in the stage of choosing between the VP and AZ Spectrum taps. The last quote I received from AZ stated $1,550 and the VP Hyper Tap (V1) is $1,795 on their website. Any notable differences or preferences? Thanks in advance!

Evan

• 6 months later...

I am currently using the AZ Spectrum and think it does an ok job. It feels like the quality difference from the original ARRI VideoTap isn‘t big and you basically safe an analog-digital converter. I am intrigued by the fact that the Visual Products option basically replaces the handle and films off the prism directly. Does anyone have any experience with it and is it worth the hefty invest?

• Like 1

I have the IVS replacement VP hypertap II on my SR3 and AZ's SR3 video arm tap on my 435. both are a major image quality improvement over SD, however the IVS replacement on the SR3 uses a lens attached to the camera board that results in soft edges, and Im convinced it has slightly more signal processing delay than the AZ spectrum option. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I am currently trying to decide on who to use for upgrading my Aaton XTR Prod's video tap to HD. I talked with AZ spectrum they're fully booked until Jan, VP seem to be a bit more free but I still haven't spoken to AM Camera. 

AZ Spectrum vs Visual Products vs AM Camera

Can anyone here recommend one over the other any pros and cons...?

Any information will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

• 11 months later...

I have the visual products IVS replacement, and unfortunately it has a notable delay/lag when compared to other HD tap solutions I've used (and when compared to what I've used on my 435). Mine is #003, so I dont know if they have changed the camera unit or board its on to improve this since then, but after experiencing even a gopro hero 11 black bolted to my 435 (for high speed preview) its worth noting that even the go pro appears to outperform the VP tap in terms of latency. 

Its fine for video village or recording digital dailies, but Im not really comfortable operating just from the monitor with it. you do kinda get use to it and can anticipate the lag, but after having run both the Oli Millar and AZ Spectrum elbow optic camera on my 435 and seeing how near 0 latency they are, I'd say you may want to consider the other options out there. My understanding is that the AM elbow camera tap is superior to any option out there for the SR3 if you have the optics to support it. I also know people who have been very happy with the Kamera Gear IVS replacement, of which Daniii now has a 3rd generation one available 

I ended up getting the AZ Spectrum and have to say that, apart from it being a massive improvement over the IVS, I would go with the HD IVS from Kamera Doctor made in the UK. The tests look amazing and I've only heard good things about it. 

The AZ Spectrum struggles in low light and the menu is complicated and confusing. The HD-IVS Mrk.3 seems much more straight forward and has a bigger sensor for better low light capabilities.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2023 at 2:47 AM, Moritz Moessinger said:

I ended up getting the AZ Spectrum and have to say that, apart from it being a massive improvement over the IVS, I would go with the HD IVS from Kamera Doctor made in the UK. The tests look amazing and I've only heard good things about it. 

The AZ Spectrum struggles in low light and the menu is complicated and confusing. The HD-IVS Mrk.3 seems much more straight forward and has a bigger sensor for better low light capabilities.

Do you have a link for the Kamera Doctor HD tap? Can't find the one you're talking about.

• 1 month later...

I ended up getting the AM camera HD tap and it’s pretty solid. Truly flicker free. And the remote is handy for locking exposure. You could** pull off of the image if you had to, if you get the exposure right and if the dynamic range isn’t too extreme. I would recommend! 

Edited by Victor Tadashi Suarez
  • Upvote 1