primes for super 16 Eclair Arri B

Hello I am looking for a really fast prime or 2 that covers super 16 for the Eclair. It's quite confusing with so many different lenses available.

The camera has an adaptor for Arri Bayonet and comes with the 15-150 2.8 that covers s16.

I know that the Zeiss cine lenses are out of my league, but was wondering if there was something that would give me a true shallow depth of field.

I saw Schneider do a 25mm 0.9. Would this work? What are the affordable options from wide to normal I don't really want to go slower than T 1.5

Many thanks!

• Premium Member

Cinema Products commisioned Kowa to make a set of fast primes for their CP-16 back in the late 70s I think, called Ultra T, or sometimes Cine-Kowa. We had a set at the last rental house I worked at, and they were pretty decent. They came in Arri Standard, Bayonet and CP mount and were all T1.3. The 6mm and 9mm wide angles don't cover S16 though.

Apart from early 16mm Zeiss Super Speeds I don't know of any other high speed lenses for 16mm that came in Arri B mount. Optar Illuminas are good quality, affordable high speed lenses that cover S16 but only came in PL mount. Lenses designed to cover S16 are almost always PL.

One of the nicest zoom options for S16 is Cooke's 10-30 which is also super fast at T1.6, and I believe it originally came in Arri Bayonet. Big lens though, and probably not that cheap if you can find one. Ed Lachman used one for parts of Carol.

I've never seen a Schneider 25mm 0.9 in Arri mount. There were a few 25mm f/0.95 lenses made by Angenieux and others but I've only seen C mount versions, and they tend to sell for way more than they're worth just because of the speed. Don't expect a terribly decent image at that aperture.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Dom Jaeger said:

Optar Illuminas are good quality, affordable high speed lenses that cover S16 but only came in PL mount. Lenses designed to cover S16 are almost always PL.

there is Arri-B mount Illuminas available on eBay. Apparently the manufacturer made changeable mounts. Maybe it was a later production run and not available when they first came out https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=optar+illumina&_sacat=0

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, aapo lettinen said:

there is Arri-B mount Illuminas available on eBay. Apparently the manufacturer made changeable mounts. Maybe it was a later production run and not available when they first came out https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=optar+illumina&_sacat=0

Oh interesting! Those are pretty affordable, too.