My Latest Short Film

Evan Samaras

Hello friends,

I recently completed a short film that has held my attention for many months. It was written, directed, and scored by yours truly. It was shot over the course of three consecutive 17 hour days. The process was as much of a fever dream as the result. The best part about it? Shot on our beloved celluloid format. Almost exclusively on Kodak 7219 (500T). There is a small section of Kodak 7203 (50D).

This hobby and community have been a large part of my development in the interest in filmmaking. This is one of the reasons I want to share (privately) a link to my latest short film. I look forward to hearing your feedback and critiques. I hope to continually learn and develop my style through consistent work and feedback.

This film is not available to the public at the moment (while it makes the festival circuit), so you will need a password to access the film on Vimeo. I ask that you don’t post the name of the film in this thread so we can keep it difficult to find publicly. The password is SRF2020. Now a warning.

Warning

The following film contains violence, graphic language and content, and mature situations/themes where viewer discretion is advised. 

Plot

An addict blinded by love has one night to obtain the object of their affection.

This film is NSFW. If you think the content might be even slightly offending or disturbing to you, it might better to skip it. It’s film that takes place on a darker side of the world  

Read the Post for the Password

Thank You for Watching!

804F4718-AF83-4E2D-BA6D-C59115889A4E.thumb.jpeg.884f63bdc6fa0986ff1630ef8a9c59e8.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi Everyone,

I produced and edited this short film with Evan. I also played the starring role. Evan and I worked very hard to make this film happen. I am looking forward to hearing your comments and feedback.

This is our third short film with more in the works! We use the shorts we make as an exploration of our passion and as a learning experience. We learn and grow with every film we make and with the feedback we get from you fine folks.

Thank you in advance for taking the time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry for the delay and I just viewed your film for the second or third time. A few notes: the audio in the conversation between the Junkie and the Femme near the beginning struck me as too clean, perhaps some or more room tone or fuzziness might have been used; I would have used a different sound effect in the head-smash scene; and lastly when the Junkie tries to awaken the Femme near the end, a shot or two of his face would have cut-in well.

On a more "global," view, it strikes me that reducing some of the static shots and using that running time to give the characters some backstory (one possible example, a quick photo montage near the start of the film)  or some more personality, would have put the viewer in more deeply.

I thought the tunnel location was extraordinary and admired the way you manipulated the space. The location is so good tht I tink a film could be constructed to revolve around that location.

I think all your of teams technical abilities are pro indie film quality or better and your team just needs an involving story with strong characters, and some luck, to "make it." 

One general note I'd give if your attempting to get into festivals is the film is a little bit long. Short films below 15 mins have a better chance of being programmed. That's because festivals would usually prefer to screen 2 x 10 min films then 1 x 20 min. 

Of course if you film has to be the length it is because that's how long the story is... that's also fine, there are lots of good 20-30 min shorts.

In this case, I think you could get it down to 15 mins without losing too much.

The intro title sequence on the film doesn't add much, with shorts it's important to get on with story.  Although the shots of the cardboard houses/insect looks cool  - it delays the start of the story. Setting a mood is ok - but on this it felt a little over long. waiting 3 mins to start the story on a short risks losing your audience. 

Same with the cool tunnel. The walk in looks like "hey we found a cool tunnel, let's show it off" rather than a particular narrative point that could be served by a shorter entrance.  Serve the story not the location. If anything the location choice could be considered to work against the narrative, is that the best place to conduct a deal? It's exposed, would a dealer leave their car to walk down a long tunnel? etc...