Relinking Alexa LF Arri RAW

Dushan Bartolovich

Good day to everyone.  

Im currently working on a project which we shot with Alexa LF in Arri RAW format.  

DIT converted raws using Davinci Resolve to ProRes Proxy for the offline edit. We are doing offline in Davinci Resolve as well. However, when i received xml and drp from the editor, i realized that im not able to reconnect proxies to the raw files. Pointing resolve to the specific folder where to search (even doing a deep search) wont work as well, resolve just reports that clips couldn't be found. 

I also tried inserting clips to the media pool and hard linking them with the edit (xml i got) on the timeline, and that did not work properly as well, all "hard" reconnected (conform lock) clips on the timeline starts from the beggining of the clip, looks like there are no TC in and out points. 

What im thinking of, as possible solution (which is last option) is to re-render all LF files using ARRIRAW software, and than relink the offline to the new proxies, and then try relinking raws back to the newly created proxies (hope this make sense) 

Any help on this one would be appricated. 

Usually what I do is just export an XML and then re-import it back into Resolve but in staid of linking to the proxy ProRes files just relink to the Arriraw files. If I didn't have the Arriraw in the first place where I'd just create the optimized media and use that.

This didn't work for you?

Yes, that is how we do it as well. But raw files wont reconnect to proxies because proxies were made with wrong settings and i think half of them were made in media encoder, half in resolve, with wrong settings. After re rendering them in Arri Raw Converter, they relinked perfectly. 

Optimized media sounds like interesting solution, could you provide more details on workflow with it? Can i render otpimized media from raw's and somehow transfer them to the editor? 

OK I get it. That would be a problem. 
But what I would have done is just edited the the XML in a text editor and changed the paths to the Arriraw files and Resolve would have been non the wiser.

I've seen a bunch of editors do all kinds of weird stuff but what I usually do is just use the raw files whatever they may be Arriraw, RED, BRAW whatever into Resolve. Then select everything and click on "Create Optimized Media" then Resolve goes into creating optimized media which can take hours but if you set your setting correctly and have enough space it will create some kind of proxy files that are small enough and good enough to work with. You can always switch between the raw and the optimized media in the menu and whenever you export it automatically uses raw files unless you set the output to optimized media.

Basically it's the same as proxy files in Premiere but works better and doesn't slow down the workstation. I haven't had much experience working with proxy files in Avid. But Resolve creates it's own media and it works great.

I had a huge project recently there were terabytes and terabytes of raw footage so I plugged in each external drive with the raw footage created optimized media and then repeated with the next drive. It created about 600 GB of optimized media and edited the whole project with that and in the end just connected all the external drives and exported as normal. Worked like a charm.
But I did have to manually delete the optimized media from my drive when I was done but that's a simple thing.

All in all I was really happy with this.