Rehoused PL Leica R or Nikon on 35mm Reflex Camera - Do They Fit?

Zero Optik says their rehoused Nikkors will work on a film camera, but I'm skeptical simply because of the math for the focal flange distances. If you get to test these out with an SLR motion picture camera, please share the results!

19 hours ago, AJ Young said:

Zero Optik says their rehoused Nikkors will work on a film camera, but I'm skeptical simply because of the math for the focal flange distances. If you get to test these out with an SLR motion picture camera, please share the results!

While the flange distance of PL mount is greater than that of F mount, the rear elements in many (most?) PL mount and Arri B mount lenses seem to extend much deeper back. I don't want to lead anyone to break their mirrors (the NIKKOR-O 2.1cm F4 I bet will hit the mirror, for one) but I think 99% of Nikkors should be good!

Edited by M Joel W

• Premium Member

Since PL is a standard for both film and digital, manufacturers tend to specifically mention if their PL mount lens would protrude into the mirror of a PL mount film camera. They don't want to be liable for destroying a camera. This probably doesn't apply to no-name adapter sellers on ebay or something, but reputable lens rehousing companies like P&S Technik, TLS or Zero Optik wouldn't make that mistake.

There are relatively few "digital only" PL lenses around, and companies like Angenieux have actually discontinued their digital DP zoom lines to go back to the old standard. It makes sense for companies to stick to a standard, as even digital cameras have OLPFs and sensor cover glasses at different depths, which caused issues with the Angenieux DP zooms for instance.

A PL lens needs to protrude more than an inch past the PL flange to potentially hit a film camera mirror. It's a little more complicated than a simple measurement, since the mirror is at an angle to the lens so the rear diameter and bevel depth add variables, but essentially if the lens doesn't protrude past the actual PL mount rear cylinder, it won't hit a mirror. 

Looking at pictures of rehoused Leicas and Nikkors, I don't see any that protrude past the PL mount cylinder:

1087498663_ZeroOptikNikon58mmrear.jpg.17bc6acb6a82e4abc2877ed847f9dc73.jpg

19814936_PSLeicaPL.jpg.e5b1cafe5d06e5b6e78ec3ba55cbdbc5.jpg

You can always email a manufacturer to confirm, but I think they would be safe to use. 

1 hour ago, Dom Jaeger said:

Since PL is a standard for both film and digital, manufacturers tend to specifically mention if their PL mount lens would protrude into the mirror of a PL mount film camera. They don't want to be liable for destroying a camera. This probably doesn't apply to no-name adapter sellers on ebay or something, but reputable lens rehousing companies like P&S Technik, TLS or Zero Optik wouldn't make that mistake.

There are relatively few "digital only" PL lenses around, and companies like Angenieux have actually discontinued their digital DP zoom lines to go back to the old standard. It makes sense for companies to stick to a standard, as even digital cameras have OLPFs and sensor cover glasses at different depths, which caused issues with the Angenieux DP zooms for instance.

A PL lens needs to protrude more than an inch past the PL flange to potentially hit a film camera mirror. It's a little more complicated than a simple measurement, since the mirror is at an angle to the lens so the rear diameter and bevel depth add variables, but essentially if the lens doesn't protrude past the actual PL mount rear cylinder, it won't hit a mirror. 

Looking at pictures of rehoused Leicas and Nikkors, I don't see any that protrude past the PL mount cylinder:

1087498663_ZeroOptikNikon58mmrear.jpg.17bc6acb6a82e4abc2877ed847f9dc73.jpg

19814936_PSLeicaPL.jpg.e5b1cafe5d06e5b6e78ec3ba55cbdbc5.jpg

You can always email a manufacturer to confirm, but I think they would be safe to use. 

Thank you for the insight! I'm pretty convinced now that the lenses will be safe to use on a film camera. ?