Safely Storing Equipment

M Joel W

I've been storing my lenses in sealed Pelican cases with desiccant packs, and have recently upped my game with a humidity-controlled cabinet to prevent fungus.

But not everything fits in there. I recently purchased three 35mm film camera bodies, a bunch of magazines, etc. and a lot of them are stored in leather cases. Where I'm storing them isn't too humid but it can be during the summer and I've seen binoculars in a leather case like this fill with fungus, not a great look... 

What do you recommend? I was thinking for the 35mm film cameras, which I doubt I will use for a while, storing their cases in sealed trash bags with desiccant canisters? Same with the leather cases that store the mags...

And a flight case with desiccant in it for a 16mm camera? Which I would use more often...

Thanks.

• Premium Member

sounds like you live in very humid climate. I have never had any fungus problems with lenses here. I am normally storing them in clear plastic storage boxes to avoid dust but no desiccant packs needed ever. If storing them in basement or garage then there could be fungus issues of course but never had them when storing lenses in normal room temperature and humidity

I don't! Maybe something else happened in this case. I'll just buy a few extra desiccant packs and store the camera bodies as-is. Lenses I'm being careful about. Perhaps unduly so, but I have had two lenses spontaneously develop fungus, and from what I understand it has more to do with humidity than with spores present. (18-55mm f3.5-f5.6 Canon and a Pentax 50mm f1.7 prime). But in both cases not much.

Edited by M Joel W