light leak in scan or in camera?

David Sekanina

• Premium Member

Hi

I got my first 16mm scan back from a Scanstation at 2K. I noticed a slight yellowish tint in the upper left corner and wondered if this was due to an uneven light during the scan, or a light leak in the camera? It's very faint and only visible on light backgrounds. Has anyone seen something similar before? Sprocket hole stress that caused discoloration?

leak.thumb.JPG.96170589ecdfd1c01f722f3d94590dfe.JPG

Edited by David Sekanina
detail

• Premium Member

Certainly looks like it's coming from the perfs. What camera was it? Can you examine it to check if there is perhaps light leaking through the claw slot somehow? Does the film itself look bruised around the perfs? (I don't think bruising would cause such extreme discolouration, but I'm no expert in that side of things). Have you asked the scan people?

• Premium Member

It was shot on an XTR Prod. Will upload a short clip later. Haven't asked the scanning guys yet, but it looks like the light comes from the perfs.

I've seen discoloration just under the perf on high speed cameras, running at 400 fps, where the pulldown claw stresses the perf enough, so the emulsion reacts. But this can't be that. The camera ran at 24fps buttery smooth and silent.

• Site Sponsor

My only thought is: Yes, this is the claw side of the film channel where the time code LED's are.  If the ASA (ISO) on the light meter is not set for the correct ISO of your film, the LED's may be producing an overly bright image, which could perhaps conduct through the film base (halation). Color of late-production Aaton LED matrix is yellow.  It is worth checking out, hope this helps. 

-Charles Pickel, www.seriousgear.com

• Upvote 1