Derick Crucius

Bolex Wratten Gel Filters

Hey all, 

I just wanted to ask a simple question on if the wratten gel filters for the bolex can affect the image if they are scratched? I have a ton of tungsten stock that I’d like to shoot In daylight and my 85 filter seems just a little beat up (visible scratches and marks, no finger prints, dirt, or grime though) and I was wondering if it will affect the image? If so, I might opt to just pick up a step up ring along with a Tiffen 85 and call it a day. 

Thanks! 

visible scratches and marks on gel filter may affect the image easily. If it's not possible to test them then it would be wiser to just replace the filter or use the glass one like the OP suggested. I personally like to use 3x3 filters with clip on matteboxes if possible (the 3x3 tend to be cheaper than 4x4 and are more compact as well)

the gel filters are handy if wanting to shoot with very small lenses like the 25/1.4 switar, or when shooting with fisheye/wide angle lenses. I like to use a Chinese c-mount 8mm lens on my H16RX for wide angle shots (extremely compact lens and pretty OK optically) so the gel filters may became handy in these situations though they are a little pain to work with because they collect dust so easily

6 hours ago, aapo lettinen said:

visible scratches and marks on gel filter may affect the image easily. If it's not possible to test them then it would be wiser to just replace the filter or use the glass one like the OP suggested. I personally like to use 3x3 filters with clip on matteboxes if possible (the 3x3 tend to be cheaper than 4x4 and are more compact as well)

How would the scratches affect the image? As in contrast?

Best,

Derick

56 minutes ago, Derick Crucius said:

How would the scratches affect the image? As in contrast?

Best,

Derick

More like shadow lines or a blur as I remember