Shooting on 500T film

Cale Boys

I've just bought an Arri SR3 and I'm testing out a 400ft roll of 500T film, what's the best conditions for this type of film? Indoors at night under tungsten lights? Daytime whilst inside? Nightime in the streets?

• Premium Member

You can use it for anything, it's the highest ISO available for motion picture film, so it's the "go to" stock. 

I use 500T for anything that has no sunlight. I use 250D for mostly everything that isn't hard direct sunlight. I use 50D for everything that is hard direct sunlight. They make stocks for pretty much everything. 

Think about shooting digitally, it's really no different. Set your digital camera ISO to 500 and shutter speed of 1/48th of a second and go around and take some still pictures and see if even can in the situations you want to shoot film in. 

17 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

You can use it for anything, it's the highest ISO available for motion picture film, so it's the "go to" stock. 

I use 500T for anything that has no sunlight. I use 250D for mostly everything that isn't hard direct sunlight. I use 50D for everything that is hard direct sunlight. They make stocks for pretty much everything. 

Think about shooting digitally, it's really no different. Set your digital camera ISO to 500 and shutter speed of 1/48th of a second and go around and take some still pictures and see if even can in the situations you want to shoot film in. 

On that note, if I'm shooting say at around 75fps on a 400ft roll to test higher frame rates, how much footage would be obtained if shooting at 25fps would make 10mins worth on a 400ft roll?