Bojan Bazelli ASC /A Cure For Wellness

Adam Frisch FSF

• Premium Member

On the plane back from a job I finally caught A Cure For Wellness. I can understand that it didn't connect with an audience, but it is simply one of the most spectacularly shot and designed movies I've seen recently. I'll go even further and say it's for sure one of the best shot and lit films in the last 10 years. And I say this knowing the competition from all the awarded work of the usual suspects.

Bojan is just one of those DP's who go pretty much unnoticed from year to year, never gets big nominations, never gets talked about much, but just turns in stellar work consistently. Go back and look at films like The Ring, Lone Ranger, Mr & Mrs Smith, Pirates - all world class camerawork and lighting. I wish sometimes this industry would award or celebrate some of this talent out there rather than alternate the admiration between the usual 3-5 suspects. But we all know cinematography is context - you can have the best cinematography in the world, but if it's not in a film that connects or breaks out, it doesn't matter. Likewise, pretty ugly movies can win for best cinematography, if it's a great film.

A Cure For Wellness should have for sure had a nomination for best cinematography in 2017. Especially since it was a very weak year for nominations in that category. If you haven't seen it, see it for the cinematography alone.

• Like 2