USC: Now a HUGE Bargain!

The simple "loophole" would be to limit places.  The affordable opportunities are harder to get in to. When I went to the NFTS (2007) the annual fees were £5k and the London Film School £26K. So no brainer to go to the NFTS, both in terms of cost and it's a better school. The difference was, at the time the NFTS only took 6 students on per course - the battle was getting the place rather than affording it. 

• Premium Member

I went to SC a long, long  time ago in a city far, far away. ? It’s not too difficult to get into the university but it is difficult to get into certain colleges within. The film school accepts less than one in ten applicants. That’s one reason of many why it’s such an elite program. So you might get into the university for free but there are no guarantees from there on. It would still be a great undeclared education none the less. 

G

Edited by Gregory Irwin

Oh no problem Gregory, like any good producer you need to alter the narrative to fit your agenda.  So you get into USC, make all the films you want, watch all the Youtube videos on filmmaking, you want.  Graduate as a filmmaker and tell everyone you went to USC, you're not lying about anything. ?

R,

• Premium Member

Sorry Richard. Not sure what you mean.  ??‍♂️  Free tuition is not a bad thing and there are plenty of choices in the world for that. But when you devalue something of value, it loses what created it's unique, special qualities in the first place in terms of (in this case) having the payroll to attract the best educators and funding to provide the best programs for the students that separate this institution from the others. Having said this, I believe USC will survive just fine because of the heritage and legacy it has. 

Fight On! ✌️
G

Edited by Gregory Irwin

On 2/23/2020 at 11:07 PM, Uli Meyer said:

What am I missing here? Is this free tuition a bad thing?

Nope! This is great news for low income students. The biggest barrier of entry to success in the film industry (and life in general), particularly for my generation, is student debt. USC doing this helps a lot of people.

On 2/24/2020 at 9:02 AM, Gregory Irwin said:

But when you devalue something of value, it loses what created it's unique, special qualities in the first place

So should a kid whose dad is a multimillionaire be allowed to have his father pay for 100% of his costs to go to USC or any other university?  

How about grades 1-12 in the USA? Should parents pay tuition for that as well, and do you want to end public education in the USA?

R,

• Premium Member

Ideally, education should be free for everybody. Going to university in Germany for example is free, no matter if your family is rich or poor. And many of the public universities are among the best. The value is in the education, not the fees.

If a school that depends on tuition fees to function, creates opportunities for talent by offering free tuition to those who could never afford it, this should be applauded, surely.

• Upvote 1

Well I agree entirely Uli.  How can a society say, because you were not born into the right family, higher education is not for you.  The student debt in the USA is staggering, kids leaving school with just a bachelors already saddled with $80, 000.00 in student loans.

I say good for USC, a lot more universities will soon follow I am sure.

R,

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, Uli Meyer said:

Ideally, education should be free for everybody. Going to university in Germany for example is free, no matter if your family is rich or poor. And many of the public universities are among the best. The value is in the education, not the fees.

If a school that depends on tuition fees to function, creates opportunities for talent by offering free tuition to those who could never afford it, this should be applauded, surely.

USC is a private institution, not a public school. They rely on tuition and private donations as well as other fundraising to stay in business. They don’t benefit from taxpayer dollars and other public funding as public schools do. But I’m happy that students who wouldn’t normally have the chance to go there have the chance as long as they are academically qualified to maintain university standards. 

G

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Gregory Irwin said:

USC is a private institution, not a public school. They rely on tuition and private donations as well as other fundraising to stay in business. They don’t benefit from taxpayer dollars and other public funding as public schools do. But I’m happy that students who wouldn’t normally have the chance to go there have the chance as long as they are academically qualified to maintain university standards. 

G

Hence my mentioning of schools that depend on fees to function ?

13 minutes ago, Gregory Irwin said:

So does Spielberg and he didn’t even go there. 

G

Yes, and in fact USC film school famously rejected him not once, but twice!  Seems they didn't think he had any talent for filmmaking. ?

R,