Why is Sony A7RII 4K footage jerky with movement?

I'm using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gB card that runs at 170 MB/s on the 4K Sony A7RII. If someone is standing 6 - 7 feet from the camera and they lift a magazine off a bed, the movement looks kinds jerky. They are not moving super fast, just normal speed movements.

I was using a Rokinon 24mm lens and about 6 to 7 feet away, lit with available light and one small LED panel at 1600 ISO and T2.8. But don't know why any of that should matter. Other than that I use whatever the stock camera settings are for video. Periodically the Sony also puts a skinny line flash on the top of the screen for a millisecond or so. Maybe it does it every couple minutes.

Any idea what the problem is? The IQ is beautiful, I am very happy with Sony other than these problems.

Thanks

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

I don't think this is anything to do with camera shutter speeds. It's your playback that is causing the stuttering. If it plays back on the camera properly then you know its the way you are trying to playback via a DVD through your TV. Your TV is having to decompress the footage on the fly and cannot cope. If I have understood correctly I am amazed it plays back at all.I don't think this is anything to do with camera shutter speeds. It's your playback that is causing the stuttering. If it plays back on the camera properly then you know its the way you are trying to playback via a DVD through your TV. Your TV is having to decompress the footage on the fly and cannot cope. If I have understood correctly I am amazed it plays back at all.

You don't say what frame rate you've been shooting.  It's either too fast a shutter speed as discussed above (it's best to shoot movies in manual exposure mode so you don't have this issue!),  or your frame frate.

If you've been shooting 24fps and viewing on a 50hz TV (European standard), this could be the issue.  I've even noticed missing frames when playing back from my MacBook Pro HDMI to my TV and both are US versions...  I think my MBP outputs 60 hz signals over HDMI, even when the source material is 24fps and this conversion is probably the issue.

The other possible issue is shooting video with the image stabilizer turned on.  I did this handheld with a Sony A7rIII and it created very bad jumps in the pans.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Patrick Baldwin said:

I don't think this is anything to do with camera shutter speeds. It's your playback that is causing the stuttering. If it plays back on the camera properly then you know its the way you are trying to playback via a DVD through your TV. Your TV is having to decompress the footage on the fly and cannot cope. If I have understood correctly I am amazed it plays back at all.I don't think this is anything to do with camera shutter speeds. It's your playback that is causing the stuttering. If it plays back on the camera properly then you know its the way you are trying to playback via a DVD through your TV. Your TV is having to decompress the footage on the fly and cannot cope. If I have understood correctly I am amazed it plays back at all.

Dunno, I don't playback in cam very much because I don't have a little external monitor and can't see much on the Sony. 

3 hours ago, Bruce Greene said:

You don't say what frame rate you've been shooting.  It's either too fast a shutter speed as discussed above (it's best to shoot movies in manual exposure mode so you don't have this issue!),  or your frame frate.

If you've been shooting 24fps and viewing on a 50hz TV (European standard), this could be the issue.  I've even noticed missing frames when playing back from my MacBook Pro HDMI to my TV and both are US versions...  I think my MBP outputs 60 hz signals over HDMI, even when the source material is 24fps and this conversion is probably the issue.

The other possible issue is shooting video with the image stabilizer turned on.  I did this handheld with a Sony A7rIII and it created very bad jumps in the pans.

Don't know frame rate. I figured it was fixed at standard video. I will have to check out the speeds, frame rates, etc. 

When I first started using the Sony it looked like the still photo shutter speeds didn't translate to the video. To me it looked like the camera picks the shutter speed. I never paid attention to it, but it possibly had picked 1/60th and 1/125th, but am not sure. I was just concerned with T stop. But I will have to study this all up. It doesn't seem to be point and shoot video, which is OK as long as you are schooled in how it works.

OK, I found out how to shoot on manual video. I set the shutter speed to 1/40th. It looked like it had picked 1/60th the last time out and higher speeds before that. Still don't know what frame rate it is shooting at, will need further study. . But will give it a go on a slower shutter speed and see how it goes.

I like the old style manual control cams with everything up front and easy access.  I spent maybe 5 - 8 minutes trying to figure it out going through all the menus looking for how to change the shutter speed. With a shutter dial you click and are done in a second or less. I guess it could be worse. You have a touch screen and blow on it and your settings get screwed up.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

I can't find the frame rate,  but it was shooting in AVCHD and not in 4K. The 4K setting says XAVCS 4K and that is what I will use.

If frame rate is 'Record Setting' then it was shooting at 30P 60M. If that is frame rate should I be using 24P 60M or 24P 100M for 4K?

you really need to read the manual and get a basic knowledge of frame rates and shutters speeds .. rather than just switching on the camera and pressing record ..sorry to be blunt, but it will be quicker than posting on the inter web .. and its not that difficult to learn.. even I could do it.. ?