Dana Dolly with Offset?

Bryan Fowler

Hi everyone. 

I have a shot I'm trying to replicate on a budget. The camera needs to pull back over a table linearly, revealing 3-4 plates of food. Maybe a 3-5 ft move?

If we had the budget I'd use a fisher with a ubangee, and maybe an RO. But we cant' do that. 
We DO have a dana dolly. I'm wondering if anyone has done something like that with the dana dolly?

• Site Sponsor

I have rigged mine up high with the camera underslung.

Maybe get a piece of square steel stock to span the table and drill post holes for two C-Stands and then attach it to the Dana Dolly on one end and the regular single C-Stand at the other so the end of the dolly won't be seen in the shot.

Thanks guys for the input. I ended up doing a underslung thing with a dana dolly. 

This was just a test. But it was close in the end to what we did. It was on a 35mm. Tilted down for the plates, pulling back and tilting up for the end. Didn't see the rails. The actual shot we dropped the camera down just a little bit. This test shot camera build was wonky. Can't post the clip here, but if it shows up on social I'll come back. 

972091447_IMG_7606(1).jpeg.bff009c736bbba782763db065757069a.jpeg

• Like 1

That's actually what I was going to recommend! The dana dolly is wonderful for doing a rig like this, but it can get bouncy when pushing in/out and the tripod can limit the tilt.

Nonetheless, nice rig!