Bryan Fowler

Dana Dolly with Offset?

Hi everyone. 

I have a shot I'm trying to replicate on a budget. The camera needs to pull back over a table linearly, revealing 3-4 plates of food. Maybe a 3-5 ft move?

If we had the budget I'd use a fisher with a ubangee, and maybe an RO. But we cant' do that. 
We DO have a dana dolly. I'm wondering if anyone has done something like that with the dana dolly?

I have rigged mine up high with the camera underslung.

Maybe get a piece of square steel stock to span the table and drill post holes for two C-Stands and then attach it to the Dana Dolly on one end and the regular single C-Stand at the other so the end of the dolly won't be seen in the shot.

Is the camera pointing directly down at the table or are the plates in the foreground and the human in the middle/background?

You can try Robert's idea, but I suspect that you'll still get the rails in the top of the shot.

Or maybe you could use a tiny camera like a go pro rigged to a plank offset arm from a doorway dolly?

Thanks guys for the input. I ended up doing a underslung thing with a dana dolly. 

This was just a test. But it was close in the end to what we did. It was on a 35mm. Tilted down for the plates, pulling back and tilting up for the end. Didn't see the rails. The actual shot we dropped the camera down just a little bit. This test shot camera build was wonky. Can't post the clip here, but if it shows up on social I'll come back. 

972091447_IMG_7606(1).jpeg.bff009c736bbba782763db065757069a.jpeg

• Like 1

That's actually what I was going to recommend! The dana dolly is wonderful for doing a rig like this, but it can get bouncy when pushing in/out and the tripod can limit the tilt.

Nonetheless, nice rig!

Nice! Similar to what I did with mine.

I also rigged a Dynamic Perception toothed belt and stepper setup onto mine for light motion control with the MMX controller which works pretty great for some shots.