Film Ferrania P30 - 16mm + 35mm motion picture film NEWS

Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

Hi all, thought it would be important to highlight the fact Film Ferrania will be produced as 16mm film stock in/after summer 2020....let's leave the 'we shall see whether they do it for summer' comments aside and focus discussion on this new film stock becoming available to shoot as a BW negative this year in 16mm format......obviously I have never shot Ferrania but Im looking forward to it.....

Edited by Stephen Perera

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Simon Wyss said:

What’s your source of information?

Ferrania directly.....they emailed me. I quote verbatim. I was talking to them about the 35mm ferrania P30 for stills.....

Hi Stephen,

Regarding developers, our P30 Best Practices will always be available at this link: https://www.filmferrania.it/p30
We have a new version with two more developers nearly finished. We will update the PDF at the link above in the next day or so.

The look of P30 is really quite subjective, but in general a "perfect" image would have a very strong contrast with a long gradient in the darkest tones and a shorter but still smooth gradient in the highlights.

Regarding 16mm, we have not forgotten! In fact, we hope to produce our first batch over the summer.

cheers,
The FILM Ferrania Team
FILM Ferrania, s.r.l
Viale Della Libertà
57, Cairo Montenotte (SV), Italy

FILM Ferrania USA, Inc
234 5th Ave
New York, NY 10001
Twitter • Facebook • Instagram • Tumblr
Edited by Stephen Perera

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Uli Meyer said:

Great news. Do you know if they have plans for 35mm motion film?

Hey Uli, no mention of that but I'm sure they might even come in on this thread themselves if we're lucky....would be interesting.....they're going to release Ferrania P30 in 120 format for us medium format shooters.....will be great to see what it can produce

BTW I'm not a spokesperson for them........I simply emailed them asking about the Ferrania P30 BW stills film characteristics and developers etc and asked if they will produce 16mm BW motion picture film.....and they were kind enough to give me a 'production' date indication

Edited by Stephen Perera

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Stephen Perera said:

Hey Uli, no mention of that but I'm sure they might even come in on this thread themselves if we're lucky....would be interesting.....they're going to release Ferrania P30 in 120 format for us medium format shooters.....will be great to see what it can produce

BTW I'm not a spokesperson for them........I simply emailed them asking about the Ferrania P30 BW stills film characteristics and developers etc and asked if they will produce 16mm BW motion picture film.....and they were kind enough to give me a 'production' date indication

I didn't think you were but I'm glad you are sharing the reply you had from them. Since they mentioned 16mm to you, who knows, maybe they'll have a go at producing 35mm stock too.  I just bought a roll of P30 to try with my M6. Looking forward to it.

Hi folks!

Thanks for the invite to the thread, Stephen!

@Uli Meyer We will likely announce 35mm stock at the same time as 16mm availability - or shortly thereafter - however all 35mm cine stock will be produced on demand only for the near term. We don't plan to make it a standard in-stock item for some time yet, but we can task our team to make bespoke productions of master rolls specifically to cut and perforate for 35mm cinema projects.

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, David Bias said:

@Uli Meyer We will likely announce 35mm stock at the same time as 16mm availability - or shortly thereafter - however all 35mm cine stock will be produced on demand only for the near term. We don't plan to make it a standard in-stock item for some time yet, but we can task our team to make bespoke productions of master rolls specifically to cut and perforate for 35mm cinema projects.

Thanks David,

Exciting news! I presume that one will have to order a certain amount? Anyway, I'll keep my ears to the ground.

• Premium Member

Don’t miss the chance, P 30 promises to be the finest-grained medium-speed originating stock today. Sadly we won’t be able to compare it to Ilford Pan F plus because the English don’t convert to motion-picture formats. It might cause some action with FilmoTec, I suppose.

As for 16mm, do not hesitate to offer P 30 perforated on both edges and in long rolls (up to 1,200 feet). There are many camera systems that want to be relived, Auricon Super 1200, Auricon Pro-600, Mitchell 16 Professional, Maurer 16, to name a few.

Finally, please offer P 30 as unperforated 35mm strips to the 9.5 ciné club of France so that it may get converted into the Pathé format. I most certainly will buy P 30 as Ninefive, I have a GIC 9.5 camera and a Beaulieu Reflex 9,5. Since years we Ninefivers have no raw stock at all!

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, David Bias said:

Hi folks!

Thanks for the invite to the thread, Stephen!

and what about Super 8 Tim asks......

Some quick replies:

@Uli Meyer We will certainly make some standard 100/200ft reels for general stock in the online shop, and over time, we'll fill in the catalog with more standard (no minimum) offerings based on feedback. Once we're in full swing, we'll open a direct channel for "bespoke" orders. Those will very likely have a minimum purchase quantity.

@Simon Wyss As far as the different variations are concerned, these will most likely be in the bespoke category - but again, we will listen to feedback and see what happens. We have already had contact from the 9.5 folks in France and once our production capacity can support selling raw pancakes, they will likely be our first call.

@Tyler Purcell Color is definitely coming, but it's going to take some time yet.

@Tim Smyth Super 8 is a bit trickier than 16mm. Cartridge supply is thin at best and so they are far more expensive than we like. In fact, we have been hoping to offer Super 8 at a more consumer-friendly price point... That said, yes we will make some P30 in Super 8 format.

I am receiving a weekly digest email of this thread. I'll check back in periodically, so send through any questions you have.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 3/3/2020 at 10:40 PM, David Bias said:

Color is definitely coming, but it's going to take some time yet.

@Tim Smyth Super 8 is a bit trickier than 16mm. Cartridge supply is thin at best and so they are far more expensive than we like. In fact, we have been hoping to offer Super 8 at a more consumer-friendly price point... That said, yes we will make some P30 in Super 8 format.

DS8?