Samsung's 30TB SDD

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

This is an old announcement, but was news to me. I was looking into SDD's wondering if there were any big SDD's. I came across Samsung's 30TB SDD. 

https://bgr.com/2018/02/20/samsung-30tb-ssd-release-date-specs-price/

What a monster!

I was looking at my old HDD portables lusting after fast SDD's and couldn't help but notice nothing I have is US made. All made in Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia, Korea and China. I wonder if the USA could even make any hi-tech stuff any longer or cameras and lenses. In the old days the USA did make cameras and lenses. 

Some people claim a SSD will data if not charged up for some time, others say not true. Well, time will tell. But for now am mainly using old tech HDD as it is much more affordable.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

I researched the SDDs data retention and it seems to be true that SDD's that are not powered up can lose data pretty fast....like 6 months or if kept in cold storage a year. (And maybe I'm generous with the 6 month figure, so don't hold me to it.) Now HDD's lose can data as well, but it is much, much longer than a SDD. With HDD it is many years. I've tested SanDisk SD camera cards and found the photo data fine after 5 years of no power. The 10 year test is still underway.

Hi-tech companies are working on engraving data with a laser onto a small piece of thin quartz glass that is as small as a post-it note to preserve digital data. They may hold 100gb+ of data. But until that is on the market, the M-disc is as archival as it gets for digital. And in the big picture, if you drop the quartz glass on something hard it may shatter, the M-disc wont. But that is just speculation.

If you are serious about your digital archive you would have the data backed up on both quartz and M-disc, as well as other HDD's, LTO, Cloud and any other forums of digital storage available to you.

As curator and archivist for a photo, ephemera, cine', VHS and audio archive, I deal with a large amount of digital data that needs to be archived, backed up and backed up some more. I am also a photographer and have a huge body of work of my own to preserve.

I've used optical media extensively since the late 1990's. For the last few years I've used all sizes of M-discs and found them to be an outstanding media option to use for storing digital data.The organic dye based DVD's are OK short term, as long as they are not exposed to strong light and heat. I just finished transferring a 53 DVD archive to M-disk that was originally burnt in early-mid 2000's. Only one disc had issues, but luckily it had a backup that was OK. And 93% of the defective disc could still be salvaged with special software.

If organic dye based DVD's are kept in dark storage and not exposed to heat they hold up OK. They can last 20 years and maybe a lot longer. Only time will tell. Gold MAM-A DVD's don't discolor like silver DVD's and are marginally better than silver with resistance to degrade from sunlight. But when gold DVD's are exposed to sun, they will fail within a few days longer than a silver organic dye based DVD failed.

The old Kodak gold '100 year' DVD's were better than the current crop of MAM-A gold DVD's, but again, not by that much, only adding a few days more life in the sun than MAM-A gold DVD's. But, none of these DVD's can vaguely compare to the M-disc when it comes to resistance to sunlight and heat.

Now the testing of the Blu-ray M-disc's are still underway. They look to be a different composition than the 4.7gb M-disc. But tests, as completed so far, show the Blu-ray M-disc far outlast organic dye based optical media as well. And standard BR-D hold up fairly well in the sun, lasting a lot longer than standard organic dye based DVD's.My only complaints is that they don't make dual-layer M-discs and CD M-discs.

The M-media is all slow to burn, but you learn to live with slow burning as a trade off for archival preservation. With photography I go so far to say the M-disc is more archival than film.

Don't believe me?

Put your Ektachrome, Kodachrome, Fujichrome, dye transfer prints, 3 strip Technicolor in the sun for a few months and see what happens. Put a M-disk in the sun for a year and the data is still perfect. But if you are lucky to have your material on film, it is just another back up in addition to digital. The moral of the story is have backups...lots of them and refresh periodically.

Daniel D.Teoli Jr. Archival Collection
Daniel D.Teoli Jr. Small Gauge Film Archive
Daniel D.Teoli Jr. VHS Video Archive
Daniel D.Teoli Jr. Audio Archive
Daniel D.Teoli Jr. Social Documentary Photography 

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

As long as I brought up DVDs above. Here is an example of disc rot caused by bronzing of a silver DVD.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:DVD_bronzing_disc_rot_D.D.Teoli_Jr.jpg

Light and heat are the enemy of organic dye DVD's. I've tried most brands. Results are the same, they all fail if organic dye. They are only made for the short term.