Quite a few Arri 435 ES on sale.....

Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

They were very common during the latter film era, often used for plates, stuntwork, special effects, slow motion, ramping etc, but being MOS they have less utility these days. So there are lots around but there's less demand than for sync sound cameras. They were built to last so most are probably still working fine. Also most would be 4 perf (not so desirable these days) and changing to 3 perf is a major operation (unlike Arricams for instance).

Amazing cameras though, bullet-proof and super stable even at 150 fps.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

About 5 years ago, one could buy 3perf Arricam for the price of today’s 435...

Although an MOS camera, 435 is excellent piece of gear and definitely worth every penny. 

We will see how will coronavirus shake film industry, especially real “film” cameras. Hope it will still last...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, 

I'll throw my 2 cents in as someone who bought a 435 ES a few months back.

First off, I work mostly in commercials. I'm lucky enough to have made a point of fighting to shoot film on most of my projects and its largely a part of my work. Last year my work was more than 50% film, something I definitely don't take for granted.

Shooting on film isn't financially a smart decision but bringing film onto a project changes the dynamic as you know. For me, owning the camera was more of a move to help sell shooting film on lower budget projects that are already considering shooting film. Most of which are music videos or commercials, which you'll only be running a few rolls.

I also have an Arri service center 20 minutes from my house which played a large part into being open to buying the camera.

I can't speak to why so many are popping up for sale. What I can say is a great tool and I have really enjoyed working with it. 

On 4/13/2020 at 11:37 AM, David Peterson said:

With the current world wide coronavirus lockdown, and the slowing down of the economy, then many people might be using their newly found free time to sort through and get rid of their older gear for some extra cash

Not to get political but... I've noticed cameras with broadcast workflows haven't dipped a bit. Shock footage for the news is big business right now.

• Premium Member

Shot a 120fps test for a project not long ago with a 435 Advanced 3perf I bought last year. Was running it off a 26Volt 180 Watts Hawk-Woods V-lock battery which was not enough to get it up to 150fps. Hopefully I can get back to the project one day.

Password: 435Advanced

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1