Angineux s16mm to 35mm

Mike Krumlauf

• Premium Member

I don't think there were any 16mm zooms that used the Universal sub mount, by Angenieux or anyone.

There are doublers for PL or Arri S or B mount you could possibly use, but a lot of lenses protrude too far out the back to use them.

Despite the infamous Kubrick stories, using 16mm zooms with a doubler to cover 35mm rarely works well and is not worth the hassle and light loss IMHO.

I've converted the 12-240mm to a 24-480mm t11 (or something?)... twice...

It's Arri standard mount only, but Birns and Sawyer made a teleconverter that I'm guessing was designed just for this purpose. I bought one on eBay. They show up from time to time, but I don't see one now. It's called Birns and Sawyer TeleZoom 2x for Angenieux I think.

The other converter I tried (which I'm selling, it's bayonet mount and has larger glass elements) only fit with a modified lens that had the mount converted to bayonet and worked worse and didn't quite cover Super35.

Kubrick must have used a different lens from me. This lens is soft and loaded with distortion and CA. Doesn't look a thing like Barry Lyndon. Looks pretty bad. And I think he had a zoom motor.

On the other hand, it seems to cover Super35 throughout the zoom range. I even got a clip on 4x4 filter holder working so I can shoot through Classic Softs for an even weirder look.

Edited by M Joel W