'Pro Choice' campaign - impressed at Eastman Double X range in shadows - see footage

• Premium Member

Recently shot for the 'Pro Choice' campaign for a forthcoming referendum on the abortion laws here in Gibraltar. Abortion is currently illegal. They contacted me to shoot some pieces to project on a large screen at a public rally and for social media. They wanted to feature some women talking about personal experiences. They loved the idea of shooting on 16mm film.....embracing the grain and shooting specifically on a cloudy, dark windy day. Come the day we headed to a spot by the sea. Links attached. It was certainly going to look different to the typical Youtube video style we see all day every day.....

The point of this thread: I spot-metered to get detail in the background of the sea and clouds and was willing to let the faces go dark...I didn't want to shoot pretty, wanted to shoot flat.....the conditions were terrible....soooo windy....messed up the audio as u can hear......clipped the young girls parts.....but wow Double X threw up great detail on the faces......I'm very impressed....I would say it handles the dark better than it handles the highlights......obviously I know the sun came in and out and as the scene became equal exposure in the background as in the foreground the contrast levels rose and fell but I'm impressed with the stock.

Great how on the long one when the story shifts to a more positive note the sun comes out and throws crazy flares and hexagonal shapes caused by the salt particles blown onto the lens from the sea....I was hand zooming in and out on the parfocal Cooke Varokinetal 9-50mm lens.

Friends......shoot Double X.....great film stock! I'm getting quite a lot of stuff done on this stock these days....

then there is this one:

and this one......after this one was shot...the young girls asked for their identity to be hidden and voices altered....but here's the original cut...password is: choice

Edited by Stephen Perera

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Jarin Blaschke said:

It seems your cloud highlights have more information and separation than your shadows, which are lifted but empty.

j

thanks Jarin, yes I know the whole thing was surprising.....Im learning about Double X the more I shoot it.......its looking good on the stuff I'm doing about my father (the intention is a visual family heirloom). I spot metred for the clouds etc to get that looking good and let the people go......they wanted grimy, grungy and grainy.....thanks for the input, much appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/6/2020 at 12:43 AM, Karim D. Ghantous said:

From what I have seen of b&w films, at least the good ones, they are all very, very flexible. You can rate Delta or T-Max by EI -3 or -4 and still get really good results without pushing. In fact you'd probably not want to push.

...only if your expectations are flexible. ?