Camera Sensor

3 hours ago, Dylan Gill said:

I'm not actually a fan of shallow dof, is there a way to counter act this on the LF given it'll probably be the more popular capture device going forward? 

The only way to increase DoF is to either crop in and use a shorter lens (effectively the same as using a smaller format), or stop down the lens and either gain up or add more light. The way Steve did it in the two frames I posted was the latter, stopping down the lens, which has the disadvantage of needing more light and/or creating an noisier image (from higher ISO). I believe in this case, he actually needed ND filters on the Alexa to bring it into line with the IMAX.

6 hours ago, Dylan Gill said:

I'm not actually a fan of shallow dof, is there a way to counter act this on the LF given it'll probably be the more popular capture device going forward? 

Easy .. stop down .. 1.5 or so and its the same ..  noise is less of worry large sensor  .. and many cameras now have a dual ISO.. even less noise .. 

Edited by Robin R Probyn

7 hours ago, Dylan Gill said:

I find lensing wide is always going to lead to a much easier solution than stopping down, especially when shooting tight interior and you don't have an abundance of light to work with.