Discussion about cancelling NAB

• Premium Member

People just don't want to travel and I don't blame them. I don't think the conventions should be canceled, but maybe they should be shifted to another time of the year when the virus is less of a topic. I think by summer it should settle down a bit, but the entire world is in a frantic fit about it right now. 

• Like 1

I have no idea what all the fuss is about over Corona Virus and travel?  My family and I are going on our yearly vacation to the Caribbean on the 16th, no plans to change and why would we?  It's not like we are going to the Wuhan Province of China.  The death toll is still incredibly small, I am laughing out loud at the reaction of people in LA with all the panic buying and emptying store shelves, only in LA would such a thing occur, does not surprise me in the least.  Next we'll hear that Kim Kardashian has Corona Virus and Americans will start jumping out of windows.  ?

I toured the length of Egypt 6 months after they killed 64 German tourists in Luxor, people told me I was mad.  I was smart enough to know that I had a higher probability of being hit by lightening than being killed by an Egyptian terrorist.

Point is, so much of this is fed by the media who intentionally look for whatever they can to scare the sh*t out of people, I know, I have worked in three TV newsrooms and it's a joke.  There have been 19 deaths in the US so far related to the virus, 19! More people OD on Skid Row every 15 minutes.

R,

Richard, I think the issue in the US is that we are very unprepared to treat the 5% or so people who could require extensive medical care.  Once the virus expands it's reach to 1000's of people, even if only 5% need hospital care, there is no place to put them, and not enough equipment to treat them.  So, we need to slow it's progress to give us time to be ready.  So far, it seems, we have squandered this opportunity.

And our whole medical system and employment system encourages people to avoid medical care due to costs, and to show up at work ... at all costs.  So, we are entering a real crisis, even if the risk for most is low.

Not to mention our huge homeless population, many of whom may die in the streets as they spread the virus amongst themselves.

While hysteria will not help us, there is some real reason for concern I think.

And I will skip NAB this year.  Nothing there is worth hanging around in crowded places with people from all over the world in this situation.

But, enjoy your vacation, and most likely, everything will be fine for you.

• Upvote 3

• Premium Member

Unless the UK government tells me not to travel, I will; otherwise, I'll simply end up throwing the air fare and accommodation down the drain. Whether NAB happens in any recognisable form is another matter. I may just end up staying in LA and, you know, sitting in coffee shops, which I believe is the conventional pastime in that part of the world.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Greene said:

But, enjoy your vacation, and most likely, everything will be fine for you.

I fully expect it will be, I have spent months at a time in South Africa after all, and if the malaria doesn't get you, a car jacker certainly will.  At least that's what people say will happen, never does. ?

Oh one more thing, I drink tap water, and I don't believe any of the horse sh*t spewed out by the bottled water industry telling me why I should not.

R,

30 minutes ago, Phil Rhodes said:

I may just end up staying in LA and, you know, sitting in coffee shops, which I believe is the conventional pastime in that part of the world.

Don't forget your laptop so you can also write your screenplay. ?

R,

The United States has a split personality about covid-19. The populous is both overreacting and buying useless things, but at the same time failing to take even basic precautions that could actually help them keep healthy. The government is just strait out ignoring itself and saying 3 different things depending on who you talk to. It’s no wonder the death rate in the US is higher than anywhere else. 

11 minutes ago, Shawn Sagady said:

The United States has a split personality about covid-19. The populous is both overreacting and buying useless things, but at the same time failing to take even basic precautions that could actually help them keep healthy. 

I'm in L.A and I go to movies a lot, it's astonishing to see how careless people are in movie theaters and public places. People sniffle, cough left and right without covering their mouths. After peeing or number two'ing - most people only rinse their hands with water, some with soap for 2 seconds and a lot of people just skip all together and just bolt out of the restroom. Last Thursday I went to Simsy in Burbank after a Fotokem run and the waitress literally could not breath from her mouth, sweating and wiping her dripping nose on her shoulder while typing on the iPad register. (which was being used by all other waiters, waitresses). 

These people most probably don't have the Coronavirus but it shows complete carelessness about the situation.

I can sympathize with the waitress though(or any people who work in public), she needs to pay her bills and she probably can't afford to stay home. It's pretty nasty though.

I have yet to see people washing their hands properly in public places - If people want to go to NAB, or go on airplanes - go for it! Just be aware that most people only think about themselves and have no regard for you or your families. It's only a bad Flu some people say, well I don't want to get THAT flu so no NAB for me.

If only people would follow the basic recommendations we would be in a better place, unfortunately people don't give a sh&t and buy all the toilet paper and hand sanitizer they can get their hands on. good stuff!

In the UK, the NHS has difficulty with the flu season because of the bed occupancy by seriously ill elderly patients., especially if they need intensive case.  What they don't want  is Coronavirus running through the population at the same time, so that it's impossible to carry out other operations because there  aren't any  beds available,

The news people do love a good possible pandemic story, although perhaps taking up half the news show may be a bit much, even if closed down cities do look good. 

• Premium Member

In 1918 the Spanish flu killed up to 100 million people when the world's population was 2bn. Today there are 7.7bn of us. The Spanish flu also started with just a handful of deaths. The Coronavirus might not be as deadly but to belittle the possibility would be more than stupid. Even if the effect on you might be mild, once infected you could potentially kill someone by spreading it further. The "I'm Alright Jack" attitude is why pandemics happen. People are just way too egotistical.

• Premium Member

I'm not sure many people are belittling the possibility. There is a realistic chance this thing could kill quite a lot of people and affect day to day life noticeably by making certain things difficult to get in the shops, probably for a few months, simply because of the number of people off work sick. I don't think there's much we can do to avoid that; we can perhaps delay it and spread its severity, which is a good idea, by taking basic precautions.

In the end, though, fatalism has its place. If it happens, it happens. Once we've enacted those basic precautions, further concern over the issue is not useful.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Phil Rhodes said:

In the end, though, fatalism has its place. If it happens, it happens. Once we've enacted those basic precautions, further concern over the issue is not useful.

Sure, but there are people who do not care about the basic precautions or are too ignorant. In my family someone spent time with an infected person who went to work and attended a concert, all while this chap knew that he was sick.

The worry I have is family members on strong immunosuppressant drugs to treat other health complaints. For some people it's more of a risk than others. If your already ill, corona virus is more of a problem. 

I'm hoping the media has blown it out of proportion and the reality isn't as bad as the worst case scenario. But due to my personal circumstances -I'm being careful and i'd hope others also do their bit to try and minimise the spread. It's not healthy to panic but taking basic precautions is sensible.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

I fully expect it will be, I have spent months at a time in South Africa after all, and if the malaria doesn't get you, a car jacker certainly will.  At least that's what people say will happen, never does. ?

Oh one more thing, I drink tap water, and I don't believe any of the horse poop spewed out by the bottled water industry telling me why I should not.

R,

I drink the tap water here in LA, and most of the US.  When I travel abroad, I drink bottled water as I don't know about the safety there of the tap water.  Generally, if none of the locals will drink the tap water, neither will I. Of course, I don't know about the safety of the local bottled water either!

I did once get very very ill from drinking tap water in South Texas near the Mexican border. (105 fever, nearest doctor 200 miles away) So, not everywhere in the US is safe for tap water, though I think all the major cities are.

23 minutes ago, Bruce Greene said:

I did once get very very ill from drinking tap water in South Texas near the Mexican border. (105 fever, nearest doctor 200 miles away) So, not everywhere in the US is safe for tap water, though I think all the major cities are.

That's probably because it was the USA and the water department was being run by a private company with a call centre in the Philippines. ?

On 3/8/2020 at 4:35 PM, Richard Boddington said:

Oh one more thing, I drink tap water, and I don't believe any of the horse poop spewed out by the bottled water industry telling me why I should not.

R,

Well, if you virus notions are like your tap water notions you may be in trouble. Many people in the USA drink 'toilet to tap' water. 

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/2016/01/18/6035/

They say virus hits older people hardest. OK, but the young doctor in China that discovered it died from Wuhan virus.

19 hours ago, Uli Meyer said:

In 1918 the Spanish flu killed up to 100 million people when the world's population was 2bn. Today there are 7.7bn of us. The Spanish flu also started with just a handful of deaths. The Coronavirus might not be as deadly but to belittle the possibility would be more than stupid. Even if the effect on you might be mild, once infected you could potentially kill someone by spreading it further. The "I'm Alright Jack" attitude is why pandemics happen. People are just way too egotistical.

Hard to compare the Wuhan virus to 1918. Back then they were in the stone age. You have to think how Wuhan would have been back then, not now.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

Hard to compare the Wuhan virus to 1918. Back then they were in the stone age. You have to think how Wuhan would have been back then, not now.

Daniel, I'm not sure what your point is. The Coronavirus does not care what date it is. Both untreatable, there's no difference between 1918 and 2020. Are you saying the Coronavirus would have spread faster in 2018? Probably, because there was no information available like today, but that is my point. When I read that people refuse to cancel their trips, insist on going to work or attend large crowd gatherings because they think they are fine, sadly ignorance still prevails. Despite living in an age where we have instant access to information.

The"Spanish" flu originated in the trenches of the First World War. More and more soldiers fell ill and were sent home.  The virus was discovered in Spain, hence its name, nobody knew its true origin.

Edited by Uli Meyer
spelling

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Brian Drysdale said:

The big difference with Spanish flu is that it killed young people, rather than older people,  while Coronavirus is generally the reverse. 

It mainly killed young people? No old people? Hm, are you sure about that?

Comparing 1918 to 2020...The higher level of education in 2020 and the saturation of free information may well save us from another real pandemic, but we are always vulnerable to what we do not know. 

History may save us, but we are commonly unaware of it.  Learning basic facts about the 1918 flu I found quite emotionally devastating. I think we are all floating along in a vain, ridiculous, glossy mirage, completely inept at influencing the factual outcomes, the course of history, our own safety...

This quite succinct, tight documentary on the 1918 flu.

...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDY5COg2P2c

Edited by Gregg MacPherson
replaced the huge pic from the youtube reference with a simple line of text.
  • Like 1