honda eu7000is adaptation?...

I have a Honda eu7000is, but its not one of those adapted ones for film production where the 60amp bates is built into the front panel. So...I'm looking for how exactly to plug this thing up utilizing all amps possible to run a 50ft lunchbox. I DO have a 50ft bates (60amp) cable...(obviously one end plugs into the lunchbox) so it seems there has to be a way to cut off other end and wire it up to the 30amp twist lock or will I need to split it so I'm using the 30amp on the 120v side as well as the 240v side? Looking for detailed direction on how to make this work? thank you.

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 5.28.52 PM.png

Edited by john spader

Without the bates modification on the genset there is no benefit to using a 60amp bates cable modified to fit the 30amp receptacle on the generator.

Not much benefit to even run an L14-30 quad box cord either because the power available on the quad box receptacles is limited.
Quadbox extension cord only gives you the convenience of running one cord out but the total power available is not increased from what is available at the generator receptacles.

The genset is rated  5500W rated (120v 45.8 amps /240v 22.9A)   

s-l500.jpg

If you look at the two  120v 20amp Duplex receptacles on the generator:

each one has its own 20 amp CB  =  40 amps available at 120v

OR use the 120v 30amp receptacle and one of the duplexes but do not exceed 45amps.

Look over the  Receptacle selection guide Honda provides.

If you look at the two  120v 20amp Duplex receptacles on the generator:

each one has its own 20 amp CB  =  40 amps available at 120v

OR use the 120v 30amp receptacle and one of the duplexes but do not exceed 45amps.

Edited by Ed Conley

If you want the 60amp bates connection on the genset try contacting Angel at MPS in Dallas. ( Austin shop said to contact Dallas )

Might be other shops that do it as well.  Out here it is $500.00

214-630-1655

• Premium Member

I ask this question out of curiosity, since my understanding of the issues being discussed is hazy. It isn't something we encounter much in 240V locales.

Is the modified connector being discussed really just a wiring change, once the mechanical issues of mounting the connector are dealt with?

14 hours ago, Phil Rhodes said:

I ask this question out of curiosity, since my understanding of the issues being discussed is hazy. It isn't something we encounter much in 240V locales.

Is the modified connector being discussed really just a wiring change, once the mechanical issues of mounting the connector are dealt with?

Pretty much.

The Honda 6500 has the 120v/240v selector switch so that you can select 120v and then obtain all the power from one outlet- the 60amp bates connector. Still limited to a total of 45 amps for continuous use though.

The benefit is that you can run a 4K HMI off the generator- but nothing else once that is plugged in.

Small benefit is running a 60amp bates cable to a 60amp gang box with standard 120v receptacles- again limited to 45amps.
Keeps cable management clean and tidy.

• Upvote 1

thank you Ed! this is extremely helpful dude!

so basically if I were to make my own 50ft cable to a snackbox, the best amp output I could get is to

use the 30amp twist AND one of the 20amp, then gaff tape together two 50ft cables to reach a custom

snackbox, in which, the 30amp side and 20amp side would just need to be separate and labeled. yes?

unless you have a better way to make this setup work?

I'm only thinking about going this route, because to ship the gene to dallas would be astronomical.

Edited by john spader

yes/no.

the 6500 and the 7000i are the same beast.

The 30amp labeling on those receptacles is misleading because that is for max output for only 30 minutes. 

You can not get 50amps from the generator for any real use for lighting.

45 amps is realistically the max amp load allowable:
So even if you made a custom cable and used 30amps on the 30amp receptacle then you would only have 15amps available on either one of the 20amp receptacles. Remember that the Duplex receptacles is 20amps for BOTH plugs in that receptacle, not 20amps each.

Unfortunately the *only way to get the maximum available power from one receptacle is to modify the generator and install a 60amp bates connector but if your lights are all regular edison/household style plugs there isn't much benefit 'cept convenience to run out a 60amp bates or two and then a snack box but even at that snack box, the total available amps will be 45amps.

Clear as mud ?

* Guy's transformer set up is another way and actually can provide more power. 

http://www.screenlightandgrip.com/html/slg_home.html

I'm on the east coast so I doubt it. haha!

Ok, so I think I'll make my own custom box. I'll run two 50ft cables (3-pin 30amp and the 20amp)taped together and my inputs

on the box will be for both, in which, the internal wiring will correspond with proper plugs. Do you think I should add breakers on the box as well? or is just leaving it up to the gene's breakers fine?

Lastly, with this configuration...from the 30amp side...what do you think is the largest HMI I could run that then? Arri M40? 

22 hours ago, john spader said:

thank you Ed! this is extremely helpful dude!

so basically if I were to make my own 50ft cable to a snackbox, the best amp output I could get is to

use the 30amp twist AND one of the 20amp, then gaff tape together two 50ft cables to reach a custom

snackbox, in which, the 30amp side and 20amp side would just need to be separate and labeled. yes?

unless you have a better way to make this setup work?

I'm only thinking about going this route, because to ship the gene to dallas would be astronomical.

No, don't do a hack job like that. 

Have you thoroughly digested the Honda manual and the circuit diagrams in it?  If yes, you have the information needed to add a 60A bates, if you possess the metalworking ability to add the 60A panel mount bates an the wiring to connect it to the output of the inverter.

I don't feel like I can understand the internal components enough to "metalwork" that...but maybe I'm wrong maybe its easier

than I'm making it.

I wonder if Angel (for a fee of course) would be willing to walk me through it on the phone so I don't f**k it up. Have you ever done it yourself?

Have you looked inside the panel?  Trace the wiring of the 120/240 switch, look at the diagrams Ed linked to and  try to understand the logic of how all the outputs of the inverter are connected to various outlets. Why do you get a combo of 120 and 240?  Why do you get only 120?  Terms of service here prevent being more explicit.  Any licensed Electrician friends?  Show them the info and ask them to explain how a transformer, center tapped on it's output works with regard to voltage and current. It's not rocket science.

On 3/9/2020 at 5:44 PM, Ed Conley said:

I thought you were in Austin TX since Austin is under your name for Location.

Anyhoo- as JD mentioned call around to local shops and find out if the can do it.

Please re-read :
The 30amp labeling on those receptacles is misleading because that is for max output for only 30 minutes. 

You can not get 50amps from the generator for any real use for lighting.

45 amps is realistically the max amp load allowable:
So even if you made a custom cable and used 30amps on the 30amp receptacle then you would only have 15amps available on either one of the 20amp receptacles. Remember that the Duplex receptacles is 20amps for BOTH plugs in that receptacle, not 20amps each.

Unfortunately the *only way to get the maximum available power from one receptacle is to modify the generator and install a 60amp bates connector but if your lights are all regular edison/household style plugs there isn't much benefit 'cept convenience to run out a 60amp bates or two and then a snack box but even at that snack box, the total available amps will be 45amps.

M40

4000watts /120v = 33.3 amps

That is the very basic straight math - reality is that the HMI will draw more amps.

So just with the basic calculation the M40 draws too much power.

The 30amp receptacle on the Honda only provides 22.9 amps for continuous use.

I used to live in Austin so it would have been handy at the time but now I'm in DC.

THANK YOU EVERYONE! This is great feedback and its making me feel more confident about accomplishing this with the local professional after I read the manual, open her up and wrap my brain around this.

I'm still going to be responsible for getting the female 60amp bates face for the genset if anyone has a link for the correct item? I imagine its different than just getting a female bates head on amazon or what not. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 3.14.19 PM.png

Edited by john spader

Bates cable made with portable cordage weighs a ton.  You're really better off buying a premade 50' 60A bates.  If you insist on making it, use type SC  (fine strand, Stage Cable) wire instead.  You'll have to find an electrical supply that stocks it.