Arri 16S on/off switch

Connor Hissey

I recently bought an Arri 16S and it arrived earlier today.

The camera seems to be fine (as far as I can tell) except for the on/off switch. The on switch presses down and clicks into place, however when I press the 'off' switch, the on switch doesn't spring back up. It works only if I hold down the 'off' switch and manually pull the on switch back into place. (Please let me know if I'm not being clear enough)

Unfortunately I don't have a motor for the camera yet, so I can't test how it works with power.

So does anyone know what the problem is? Does it need some oil for the 'on' switch/pin?

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

You could try lubricating the on-off switch. It could also be missing the spring that makes it pop back out when it turns off. When you press the on switch, is it stiff? If so, I think it needs to be taken apart and cleaned thoroughly, lubricated, then put back together. If the on switch presses in nice and easy, I would suspect the return spring is missing.

Hope that helps.

Best, -Tim

On 4/25/2020 at 2:24 PM, Tim Carroll said:

You could try lubricating the on-off switch. It could also be missing the spring that makes it pop back out when it turns off. When you press the on switch, is it stiff? If so, I think it needs to be taken apart and cleaned thoroughly, lubricated, then put back together. If the on switch presses in nice and easy, I would suspect the return spring is missing.

Hope that helps.

Best, -Tim

The switch is stiff, so hopefully it just needs lubricating. What would you recommend using?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Most of the lubricants used on the Arri 16S camera are very difficult to find now. You might try a light oil like 3-in-1 oil, that might free up the switch somewhat, but it probably has years of dirt and grime built up in it so it really should be taken apart, ultrasonically cleaned, lubricated and re-assembled.

Best, -Tim