Patrick Cooper

Bell and Howell 16mm Filmo questions

How long of a focal length are you looking to shoot? Inexpensive and good quality lenses are available up to 152mm or 6". 

Phil Forrest

On 3/29/2020 at 8:26 AM, Philip Forrest said:

How long of a focal length are you looking to shoot? Inexpensive and good quality lenses are available up to 152mm or 6". 

Phil Forrest

50mm for the time being. Though I do have a very nice Canon FD 50mm already! There was a 50mm C mount lens on eBay going for over $1000 though that was an f0.95. Though I came across another 50mm with a more modest maximum aperture selling for around $800. Not what I'd call inexpensive.

Actually, a 150mm would be nice to have too at some point. I guess it would make more sense to use a cine lens for 150mm focal length (rather than an SLR lens) as generally, one would use that kind of focal length for far away / distant subjects where infinity focus may be needed.

Edited by Patrick Cooper

50mm is a bit of an intermediate focal length between the standard 25/75 kit. They are out there and certainly not all as expensive as you've seen. Look for Schneider Xenon, Cine-Nikkor, Cine-Velostigmat, Cine-Raptar, Cine-Anastigmat.  Those manufacturers are Schneider, Nikon, Wollensak, and Kodak. Zeiss, Fujinon, Canon, Taylor Hobson, Cooke, Kowa, Bausch & Lomb, Pentax (Cosmicar), Elgeet (Navitar), Yashica and others. Lots of good FSU leses as you know from using a K3.

Phil Forrest

50 mm or two inches is my favourite focal length with 16mm cinematography. We have everything here, triplets, four-glass, five-glass, six elements designs, even seven. Prices ought to be according, like $120 for a triplet. A very interesting four-glass design is the Petzval evergreen. It has been rethought and recalculated innumerable times, the Kodak Cine-Ektar 50, f/1.6 is such a candidate. Razor sharp in the center, sharp all over when stopped down to f/4 and beyond, a lens with character